No video output (I think)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeller

In Runtime
Hello.

This problem happened to me once before and to be honest, I don't remember how I fixed it. I think I just unplugged and plugged everything back in.

When I turn my PC on (I think my specs are still under my name--[edit: nope, editing them in]) I get no video output. The monitor just has the yellow standby LED glowing. I thought that maybe just the DVI cable was unplugged or the graphics card was loose or something. I tried every external option first, then after those didn't work (different monitor, cable, etc.) I went inside the PC and removed and replaced the RAM and video card. It still doesn't work. And now I realized that when I turn on the power for my computer, and press the power button again to turn it off after a couple minutes of waiting, it turns of instantly; no 5 seconds of holding it down or anything required. It just obligingly shuts off after less than a second of pressing the button.

My computer has worked fine up until these two occurrences (I fixed it once.)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I'm posting this on a different computer. :p

edit: specs:

8800 GTS 512MB
Q6600
x38 Maximus mobo
2 GB RAM (xms 2 or something I think, I can check if you want me to)
Corsair HX520 PSU

edit: I just double checked and every component's fan starts spinning and if it has LEDs, it lights up. Monitor continues to display "No input" or nothing.

Does it even POST? If not sounds like time for a BIOS update.

Does it even POST? If not sounds like time for a BIOS update.

Nope, nothing. Just a blank screen upon power-up.
Do I just download something from the mobo manufacturer's site and burn it for an update?

yes you haev to check the manufacturer's site for the most recent BIOS. Burning it to CD might not be necessary. Could possibly do it from a flash drive.

yes you haev to check the manufacturer's site for the most recent BIOS. Burning it to CD might not be necessary. Could possibly do it from a flash drive.

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know what happens.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

...So...I need to install a floppy drive?

LGA775 series document said:
Please insert a clean, unformatted disk into A:\ drive and boot the system into DOS mode. In DOS mode, please type in C:\> FORMAT A: /S or click on“My Computer”icon under Windows O/S, right click on drive A:\ and choose“Format”. By using the procedure above, you can create a boot disk without AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files.

Edit: sorry for double post, I don't know why I did that.

Yes from the looks of it you will have to get a External Floppy in order to update your BIOS.

Yes from the looks of it you will have to get a External Floppy in order to update your BIOS.

I read up a little more on my motherboard and apparently it has an "EZ Flash Bios Update", meaning I can use a flash drive.

Funny how I don't have one :rolleyes:. Well they're only a couple bucks for anything under a gig nowadays...
Thanks.

umm how are you supposed to flash bios if you can't see your screen?!

have you tried reseting cmos?

Yea, I tried resetting CMOS. And yea I just realized that my computer won't know what to do with a flash drive X(.

What should I do?

you shouldnt need to flash your bios, it should work reguardless

so another question...

have you tried using another graphics card?!?

and have you tried putting your graphics card in 1 of the other pci-e x16 slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom