No Video on my new system :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
I just bought the components for a new computer:

Core 2 Duo E5500, 2GB DDR2-800 (2x1GB) GSkill RAM, GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Motherboard, a 430W PSU (24A on the 12V rail)... and some peripheral stuff.

I can't get any video. The light on the monitor doesn't register any signal. I tried another monitor; it didn't work. When I turn the computer on, there is activity--the ethernet port starts blinking, the fans turn, the DVD drive starts blinking--but no video. And the keyboard didn't blink either.

I've double-checked all the connections, and everything's solid. I also tried unplugging all the unnecessary connections (USB1 and USB2, front audio connectors, extra fans, HDD, etc) but it didn't make any difference; and there aren't any cards at all, so I don't see how it could be a power issue. I've built many computer before, and I'm pretty sure everything is where it should be. All the parts are brand new. It seems unlikely that it would be the processor, and if the RAM was bad I think it would just show one module. So I'm guessing the motherboard is bad.

But before I send it back, do you agree? Is it the mobo?

Dan

So I assume you have tried clearing the CMOS? Double checking the VGA connection to the onboard video?

If you have and the result is the same, take the motherboard out of the case, place it on a non-conductive surface, unattach everything except one stick of RAM, CPU/and it's heatsink.
Connect the Mouse, keyboard and video cables and try turning it on from outside the case. If the result is the same, then you can either RMA the motherboard or first try a video card, dependant on whether your mobo has AGP or PCIE go out and buy a cheap video card and try again.

Does the monitor say "No input on RGB1" or something like that, or is it just blank? Try to check it with a different video card, but buy a cheap PCI (regular, not Express). Those are about 15 bucks for crappy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom