no video on monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default no video on monitor

hi all i got a8m2n-la mobo w cpu from friend. it had no vid card or ram so got 2gb ddr2 ram and galaxy 8400gs card. it powers on but no video on monitor, tried onboard vid... same problem. i tried w 3 psu all 400 watts, same thing. so i was wondering if its mobo or psu? please help, thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

anyone?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: no video on monitor

Take out the video card, reset the bios and try the onboard video again. Also recheck the ram, cpu, and all connections are on properly.

It's probably not the psu since you already tried 3 different ones. More likely to be a mobo problem if you can't even get the onboard video to work.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Default Re: no video on monitor

Was it running fine for your friend before you got it? Are you getting any image at all when you first turn it on, or any sound?

Here are your motherboard's specs. If you got RAM that isn't 553MHz or 667MHz that may be messing it up. Is it 2x 1GB modules, because if its just 1x 2GB module that may be messing it up. Is everything plugged in? Sounds silly but not uncommon to forget the 4 or 8-pin plug by the CPU.
Also, are you using your friends Windows license? Its an HP pre-built motherboard, so the old Windows OEM license is tied to it. Unless you did a clean install of a new copy.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks:1926998
Take out the video card, reset the bios and try the onboard video again. Also recheck the ram, cpu, and all connections are on properly.

It's probably not the psu since you already tried 3 different ones. More likely to be a mobo problem if you can't even get the onboard video to work.
i did tried that, still nothing, all are connected properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark:1926999
Was it running fine for your friend before you got it? Are you getting any image at all when you first turn it on, or any sound?

Here are your motherboard's specs. If you got RAM that isn't 553MHz or 667MHz that may be messing it up. Is it 2x 1GB modules, because if its just 1x 2GB module that may be messing it up. Is everything plugged in? Sounds silly but not uncommon to forget the 4 or 8-pin plug by the CPU.
Also, are you using your friends Windows license? Its an HP pre-built motherboard, so the old Windows OEM license is tied to it. Unless you did a clean install of a new copy.
yup it was working when he gave it to me, but have not used it for a year or so. yup my ram is 2x 1gb sticks at 667mhz. yes everything is plugged in, even the 4 pins.... i cant really hear since im deaf so i dunno if it made beeping sounds or not. i got the hard drive with it, so im sure the windows is in the hard drive. its driving me nuts, no computer fpr 2 weeks now grrrr lol.
Closed Thread