No video but sounds like its running fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadow

In Runtime
Hi guys. New to the forums.

My comp crashed really badly and was making a repetitive beeping sound. I powered off and restarted and it sounded like it was running fine like it always does but I was getting nothing on the monitor (amber light).

So far I have:

tested monitor on other comp it's fine

taken out video card
taken out sound card

tried monitor on the onboard video connector and it's not working.

So pretty much the only things it seems like it could be to me are the power supply (but sounds like it's running fine) and the mobo. The only things I can think of left to try is maybe reseating the Ram, reset the CMOS, swap power supplies with my other comp. I can't test the video card I took out on the other one cause it doesn't have AGP slot.

So any ideas you can think of would be appreciated. I won't be able to respond until later on tonight

thanks,

tadow

Hi guys. New to the forums.

My comp crashed really badly and was making a repetitive beeping sound. I powered off and restarted and it sounded like it was running fine like it always does but I was getting nothing on the monitor (amber light).

So far I have:

tested monitor on other comp it's fine

taken out video card
taken out sound card

tried monitor on the onboard video connector and it's not working.

So pretty much the only things it seems like it could be to me are the power supply (but sounds like it's running fine) and the mobo. The only things I can think of left to try is maybe reseating the Ram, reset the CMOS, swap power supplies with my other comp. I can't test the video card I took out on the other one cause it doesn't have AGP slot.

So any ideas you can think of would be appreciated. I won't be able to respond until later on tonight

thanks,

tadow

Reset your CMOS configuration to revert back to the default setting so you can use your onboard video card. You just have to remove the lithium battery for a couple of seconds for CMOS to lose it's current configuration. Make sure to unplug the power and ground your self properly.

Also, how is the beep, can you identify how many, are they short, long intervals, you might be able to identify the problem if you can determine the beep and look up the error code for your motherboard and BIOS version.

OK I reset the CMOS and tried the onboard video again and still nothing on the monitor :(. The only thing left I think it would be is the motherboard and/or power supply. A guy at work has the same type of mobo that he said I could try out and keep if it works.

About the beeping. It only happened the time it crashed and was a continuous beep beep beep beep until I powered the machine all the way off. Whenever I boot up now it gives it's normal one beep.

I don't know what to think.

ok what is the model number and manufacturer of the motherboard? one beep could be many things: it could be passing post and giving control to the os, (my ibm does this, no gpu, but it still runs, like a server system), could be a faulty cpu/ram or the psu could be going out.

beeping tho while running sounds either like a cpu or power problem to me.

when it turns on, does the cpu get hot? (open case, ground yourself to a case screw, turn on, and feel side of heatsink. also, the beep, after it beeps, can you hear the hard drive clicking?

and is the beep a short beep, or a long beeeep ?

OK I reset the CMOS and tried the onboard video again and still nothing on the monitor :(. The only thing left I think it would be is the motherboard and/or power supply. A guy at work has the same type of mobo that he said I could try out and keep if it works.

About the beeping. It only happened the time it crashed and was a continuous beep beep beep beep until I powered the machine all the way off. Whenever I boot up now it gives it's normal one beep.

I don't know what to think.

Those continuous beep usually indicate a power supply problem, but seems like it went away and is now giving you a normal 1 beep? If you have no visual it could probably be a bad onboard video card or CMOS is not set to use onboard video. Try putting the AGP card back, I don't think that card is bad.

Well I tried taking out the CMOS battery again and left it out a lot longer (reseated Ram while I was waiting) put it all back in and voila, onboard video working. So, it looks like it was the video card unless it's just the PSU going out and making things act retarded. I'm glad the motherboard seems to be fine though. I will work on the card when I get back from dinner. Thanks for the help guys.

Anything I could to the video card before I try it again?

Those continuous beep usually indicate a power supply problem, but seems like it went away and is now giving you a normal 1 beep? If you have no visual it could probably be a bad onboard video card or CMOS is not set to use onboard video. Try putting the AGP card back, I don't think that card is bad.

why do you quote people when you answer their questions?

Ok....put the video card back in and now it works. So basically I took my computer apart and put it back together and now it works. I'm happy but mad at the same time because I still don't know exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom