No video after installing new heat sink ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksn380

Beta member
Hey Guys & Gals,

I just installed a Xigmatek HDT-SD964 heatsink w/Arctic Silver 5 compound. I installed this to replace a CoolIt Eliminator Liquid Cooling system that went bad on me. The pump died and I also needed to top off the anitfreeze.

Instead of repairing the CoolIt Eliminator I opted to replace it with a heatsink instead mainly because of cost.

The PC powers on fine. All fans and HDs run. No beeps. However, there is no video signal.

I've reseated the RAM I took out to get at a cable that was traveling through the MOBOs heatpipes.

I've also swapped DVI cables around as I have four monitors hooked up (actually three monitors and a projector).

The temps are now fine. It's staying under 30c. I'm not getting any beeps. Actually I don't see a case speaker. When the PC powers on I do hear three clicks. Seems to be the HDs starting up. After these clicks, nothing.

All fans are running fine but still no video signal.

When I was cleaning the previous compound off I took out the CPU just to make sure that it was clean. I re-istalled the CPU the same way it was b4. However, I did notice a thin black wire with a flattened copper piece at the end that was under the CPU. I followed the wire and it seems that it is the temp guage in front of the case. I reseated the CPU onto the MOBO with the copper piece sandwiched between the mobo and the CPU.

Could I have screwed up here? If I did, could this be the 'cause for no video?

Any ideas?

Did your computer shut off when the liquid cooling system died before heat had the chance to kill the CPU? As for the wire with the copper piece in between the mobo/CPU this can def be the problem...it is probably shorting out the circuits...there should be nothing in between the contacts of the CPU/Mobo..especially a metal type material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom