No USB Keyboard on XP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentobaku

In Runtime
Hi guys its been a while since I have been on here. But I am back with all new problem.
I am currently working on a Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop. It was virus rampant so I figured easiest route is reformatt and re-install... Well all was fine till i started to install the Windows XP. Once the pc says its loading windows install the keyboard locks up, and I am unable to hit <enter> <R> <F3>... any help?

It is a Dell USB Keyboard and the Mobo has no PS2 slots

The USB keyboard should mean nothing. I loaded many things from Windows to Linux with USB and wireless keyboards. The problem could be your hard drive or the CD is bad.

I have tried everything from (all known working disc) Open OEM, Retail OEM, and Dell OEM. and the HDD passes all PC Checks HDD test and worked fine before reinstall. Keyboard works fine in Bios, MiniXP, Herin's BootCD, and in the windows install screen until it says "Windows Install is now Loading" then the screen comes up <Enter> to set up windows, R to Repair, or F3 to quit. By that point the keyboard is locked up. lights nothing responds. Oh and before its asked its XP Home SP2

By chance test this with a different keyboard? Did you check the RAM? Might be trying to load it when there is no more RAM, causing a lockup.

Well to verify that it isnt a Keyboard issue you must at least test it with another keyboard. Just cause it works with other programs, doesnt mean that it still isnt faulty and that the install of XP is detecting this and not allowing it to work.

What versions of XP? Do they at least have SP2 and proper USB 2.0 Support? If they are Pre-SP2 that could easily be your issue.

Try a PS2 keyboard if you can find one. If not, try accessing the BIOS and making sure that it is allowing USB on boot.

What versions of XP? Do they at least have SP2 and proper USB 2.0 Support? If they are Pre-SP2 that could easily be your issue.
That was my first thought - an older version of XP. Beg, buy or borrow a PS/2 keyboard.
If not, try accessing the BIOS and making sure that it is allowing USB on boot.
That was my second thought - sort of. Some earlier BIOS versions did not enable USB during the early stages of the boot process - OS drivers needed to be installed before the USB ports could be recognized. The solution? Use a PS/2 keyboard.

As stated SEVERAL times before... There is no PS2 Ports on the Mobo, Yes Bios has USBs Enabled, I am using a XP SP2 Dell Disk, and finally got to try but all usb keyboards do this on this machine while installing windows (NOT AT ANY MOMENT OTHERWISE)

Windows is locking the keyboard up once it load fully into the installer.

Sorry, I missed the part about no PS2.

Just a thought, but worth a shot in this case. Put the hard drive in a different computer and install XP, but don't activate it. Perform a SYSPREP and transplant the drive back into the original PC. Boot, let SYSPREP do its thing, and then activate XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom