No Sound After Upgrading Video Card to Geforce 520 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalaxyBounce

Solid State Member
I recently bought and installed the GeForce 520 GT (GeForce GT 520 - Overview - GeForce) in my desktop.
I connect my HP Pavilion D4100Y computer to my Vizio L37HDTV10A tv/monitor using a VGA cable and a stereo jack for audio, same as before I installed the 520 GT. However, after I installed the 520 GT, there was no sound. It does not even recognize that there is any sound device. If I try to adjust the volume, it won't let me. It says there is no audio device. In the device manager, under Sound, video and game controllers, it lists:
Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, and Video Codecs.
It says that all of these devices are working properly. There are no exclamation points or red X's by any of the listed devices.

I know that it is not the cable because I plugged it into my laptop, and it worked.
I can't even hear anything if I plug in headphones. It just says "No Audio Device" under Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.

Oh, and I'm running Windows XP.

I have no idea what the problem is. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Do this for me please, to go to add and remove programs in windows xp click uninstall nvidia drivers.
Hit the one that says custom install, and deselect nvidia hd drivers and let it finish.
Reboot, and update your sound card drivers with official ones.
That will stop that problem in it's tracks for now, also it's best if you use the system default sound setup not the video cards.

Let me know if that helps.

Went to add/remove programs, found the NVidia programs. There were 4-5 of them: NView, PhysX Software, HD Audio Manager, Graphics Driver, and maybe one more. So I just uninstalled all of them, restarted my computer, and updated my sound card driver from the HP website.

Still no sound. Then I tried to reinstall the NVidia graphics driver so I selected custom install, deselected HD Audio Manager, and clicked next. It started to install it for about a minute until it said Installation Failed - Graphics Driver (Failed), NView (Not Installed), PhysX (Not Installed).

Tried to restart my computer and redo the driver installation, but it gave me the same "Installation Failed" message. Every time I restart my computer, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" pops up and it keeps saying, Found new hardware - NVidia HD audio manager, NVidia GT520 Graphics Card, etc.

What's really weird is that when I go to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties - Hardware Tab, the NVidia High Definition Audio is still there, even though I uninstalled it? I tried to disable the device but my sound still didn't work, so then I tried to uninstall the device from Properties - Driver. When I restarted my computer, it just popped right back up in the Hardware tab.

Idk what else to do? I think I really messed up here heh.
Oh and I switched my connection to a HDMI cable, not sure if that has to do with anything?

Edit: The NVidia High Definition Audio is no longer showing up in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties Hardware tab.

Well, if you uninstalled from the nvidia uninstaller from add and remove programs in control panel, the only thing you need to do is "deselect nvidia HD audio.
The rest of those can stay because they are not the problem.
Also nvidia driver software will update itself if you allow it to restarting this issue again when finds a new update later on in fall.
But this should come in handy for sure, I am sorry I failed to provide this earlier in the morning.
If you have windows 7 or XP choose the correct download link and choose to download from the USA west coast link.
If you have a good internet speed, download from east coast USA.
Realtek

Install this and wait for the install to put in your new drivers, reboot your computer and see if windows does it's normal welcome theme.
If it does that check your sound control panel and make sure "realtek hd" speaker is default, not -HIGH DEFINITION sound which windows will install immediatley when updating your system and fins no official drivers.

Let me know how everything goes and will run from there to setup any multi-speakersyou may have.

Thanks for all the help Mike, I really appreciate it.

In the end, it was just that my Windows Audio in my Services was disabled. Not sure how that happened...?
For anyone else who encounters this issue, to fix it:
Click start -> Run, type services.msc
Hit OK
Scroll down to Windows Audio, hit properties, set Startup type as Automatic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom