No signal what-so-ever on boot up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Destructability Send a message via MSN to Destructability
Default No signal what-so-ever on boot up

Joined the forums as i have looked eveerywhere and can't get straight answer.

With increasing work load and having to use more advanced programs, my old 2ghz single core wasn't enough, especially with just under 400mb of drr1 ram. So i decided to order up a new pc.

Built two before and helped to build another 1. So orderred a bundle which consisted of MoBo (Asrock Penryn1600-SLI LGA775), 4GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM, Q6600 quad core processor. Connected to that i have a 500gb samsung hardrive and an 8800GT 512MB graphics card. All is powered by an 800w alpha power psu.

However whenever i plug everything in and connected everything i get no signal. This happens when i try and run it through the default vga connection on the back with no graphics card connected and also when i run it through HDMI off the graphics card.

Have been trying to get it working for a few weeks now. Have replaced the bundle, so it is a fresh set, have replaced power supply as before i had a 600w psu.

Any help, tips or anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: No signal what-so-ever on boot up

Are your CPU/case/PSU fans turning on when you power up? Do your hard or optical drives click briefly as the system is powering on? Do any internal or external LEDs light up?

If you said "yes" to most of the above questions, then my guess is a bad monitor, so you should try another one. The cable is probably not the problem since you tried two different cables, VGA and HDMI.

If you said "no," then then issue could be more thorny... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Are there any beeps or any other sounds after you power on?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

That is the worst feeling when you built the entire PC and it doesn't boot up. Leave only one stick of RAM and unplug all hard drives and cdroms, use onboard video card, and see if it boots up. If it doesn't, switch out the memory with another. If this still doesn't work, at least you know it must be either your motherboard, power supply, or CPU, and or the way you connected things.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

If you don't have your motherboard speaker attached to the motherboard it will be harder to diagnose this. Do what tommy2006 said and if it still doesn't work try one stick of RAM in a different slot. If that also fails, take your CPU out and make sure none of the pins on the motherboard are bent. ASRock has a great number of boards that are shipped with bent pins. I have one sitting beside me here now that I have to bend back.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Destructability Send a message via MSN to Destructability

Have now tried everything (i believe) you guys have said.
Tried booting up with no gfx card and 1 stick of ram, everything lights up as usual fan starts, hard drive powers up and then the annoying no signal message pops up. Same as when all i do is leave one stick in.
Also to see if it was the monitor i used an old lcd one i had lying around and still no signal.

However i think as cvb724 said it must be the board. Found an old quad core board that was used on a previous built machine (upgraded it as it only has a x8 pci express slot) and for some reason it boots up. It's a perfectly clean boot up as well, no issues at all.

So probably going to get hold of the people we bought the bundle from, get hem to replace or refund for the board and get an asus P5N board as the people i know who have them seem to have no issues.
Eclipse Computers - Product Details
If anyone has board that is a better price (It's £56 not inc del).

Thanks for all the help everyone
Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Triforcer

You can check in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
You can check in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum.
Wouldnt help them. They are under 40 posts so they cant PM nor can they post there.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Triforcer

Ah yeah keep forgetting about that.

Closed Thread