No Signal Detected (On Monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverKiento

Beta member
Okay, so.. I got back from being away from my apt for like 3 months or so. During this time the computer was turned off. When I came back and turned it on, the monitor displays "No signal detected." Everything seems to start up fine (the CPU and GPU fans are running), it's just not getting a signal to the display. I have tested the monitor and the VGA cable and they both work fine. Since then I've been troubleshooting with google and the help of a friend. I read that reseating the video cards and RAM can solve this problem, so I did that with no success.

Last night I read a post on a forum where the problem was a bad stick of RAM. So I decided to remove one of the 2 (1GB) sticks of RAM and see if the monitor would get a signal. It did! So now I just wanted to test if the RAM itself was bad or if it was just that slot, so I switched around the faulty(?) RAM and the good RAM and it wouldn't boot again, as expected. However, when I switched back the good RAM in, it did not boot again. So now I'm not sure if it was the RAM at all, I doubt that I fried a stick of RAM just by taking it out and I never had problems with the RAM before.

Just today I decided to check if my motherboard speaker was ever installed (this is my first build so I did not know that it was something that had to be installed) and it wasn't, so I installed that to hear if I could get a clue as to what the problem is with. On the next start-up it didn't make a sound. So I'm not sure if it is just not beeping or if I just did not install it correctly. So now I'm at a stand still, I don't know what else to do. I thought about going out and buying some RAM from a computer store around here but I'd rather not waste money on something I don't need. So that brings me here. A friend of mine suspected that it was either the GPU or the PSU, but I really don't know, I had it working for a second without changing either of those things so I'm inclined to think that they are not the issue.

I remember after I came back from another break (where my computer was off for an extended amount of time) the same thing happened, only after like 10 or so minutes of leaving the computer on, the monitor randomly got a signal. So this is sort of a recurring thing.

I've had this computer up and running for nearly 3 years and this is the first time that I've really had trouble with it, so I know that my build is sound. The only trouble I'm having now is a failing hard drive, but the computer was still booting up when that issue began.

I've taken a can of air to the inside of the computer to get rid of any excess dust. I paid close attention to the RAM slots as well, this did not work either.

I've looked closely at every part of my computer and fiddled with the cables to make sure things were not loose, I cannot visually see a problem. The fact that it worked once when I removed the RAM makes me think that it might be the problem, but I have no way to test it. I have not cleared the CMOS either because it successfully booted once without me changing that.

Here are my specs(I just copy/pasted the newegg titles because I'm not sure what info is important):

Video Card: XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
Hard Drives: Maxtor DiamondMax 17 6G160E0 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (2)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6700
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply

I have no idea what to do next, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom