No Power Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so it started up but it wouldn't boot up with the two 1 GB and the two 512 mb, even with the original CD. So I took out the 512s; still wouldn't boot up--Windows helpfully says "A required hardware unit is missing"--and roots me to the CD for repair. After running through all its tests, it reports: "Root Cause Found: ACLs on file J:\windows\system32\E9f410C18A.sys are not proper: Old value = 0x1219f." and then indicates it fixed it in some unspecified way. So anyway I'm working again. Thank you.

Mike, the memory limit on the ASUS P4P800 is 4 GB but in practice you only get 3.4 or something if you fill all 4 slots with 1GB. I had had 4 512mb sticks before, so the idea was to get at least 3gb RAM with two new 1 GB sticks. The ASUS manual is pretty insistent on using 1 and 3 slots for identical sized, etc. sticks, and letting you fill in with others on 2 and 4. But you may know better. It's just I wouldn't know how to limit the speed of the faster sticks to match the slower. I'm so happy to have 2GB RAM working again, I won't lust after three again until I can afford it. Thanks to you, to b1 gapl for the tips on memtest, and MOM and Slay for getting my posts straightened out into one thread. Next time I will check here first--but "proper", like Win7 advises.

I'm sure your mighty aware of DDR ram prices right ?
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 184-Pin DDR SDRAM, 2GB (2 x 1GB)

I'm not going to push this very far, but you could do alot more better than what you have now.:)

Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7/4G

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Total for now is 210.00
Add on a Nvidia GT or ATI HD 5000x series plus add on a good power supply...
You would atleast spend about 320.00 total, but that choice is solely up to you and your needs.

I think Mind has a core i3 sandy bridge 1155 don't know what model it is but he aint complaing much and couldn't be happier.

I have a 1155 i3 2100. It works great for MineCraft. The only thing I play. And works fine fine for Photoshop CS5.

That's great. I would have bought new but didn't know what to buy among the thousands of motherboards let alone othert components available. Will act on it after a little recovery. Thanks so much for the great help here, Mike and MindoverMatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom