no post, no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

booarisky

Beta member
The power boots but there is no video or beeps. I've tried clearing the cmos, changed the video card and removing the cmos battery and still no video. what could be wrong?

It could be the CPU. I've had the same problem before.

You could start by checking to ensure that you have the system speaker connected to the correct pins. If you can at least get to the point where you can hear the beeps, it would make life much easier in trying to diagnose the cause of the problem.

Try disconnecting all non-essential hardware, ensuring you have only the core components connected that your system would need to boot. If it still doesn't work, the likelihood is that one of the items you have left connected is the guilty culprit. If you're lucky enough to have the option available to you, try and swap the offending item out with a spare/borrowed item you KNOW to be working.

If it DOES work, add the CD/DVD rom, any 2nd sticks of memory, 2nd HDD's and any other non-essential devices back again one-by-one until it stops working again to pinpoint what else might be causing the problem.

It's also worthwhile (and I hate mentioning this) that you have everything connected properly, especially power. Refer to the manual if needs be, I guess we all like to think we're pretty technically savvy but I surprise myself sometimes with the basic things I tend to overlook :)

Good luck!

1st of all thanks for all the responses. However I tried everything suggested and still no beeps or video. I even went back and put the original power supply in and then the computer kept powering off. i'm back to square 1. but i must mention that this is a friends computer and it's a emachine T2085. they came to me with the problem. They said that their son so called wiped out everything but didn't know how he did it and when they tried to power it on it wouldn't then they gave it to a neighbor who said the power button wires where loose and he (stupid) tried to solder it back on and got shocked a few times. but when i opened the case nothing had new solder the front case was never opened until I did. from what I can tell either the mobo is fried or the cpu is fried, but both lights up. when i swapped the psu it didnt shut down it kept running but without video i'm a little lost right now. but I think it's the mobo or cpu. What do you think?

maybe something got fried...... Static and Computers do not play very well.

Or maybe this guy did not solder the right wire to where it is supposed to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom