No POST, No Fans, No Boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default No POST, No Fans, No Boot

Today I installed a new motherboard into my computer. However I have ran into a problem in the last fase of (re)building my PC -> turning it on. Nothing happens when the power button is pressed (or when you manually try to boot the pc), no fans start spinning, no HDD's start spinning, there's no POST beep, etc. The only signs of life are the (power?) led on the mobo just above the 24-Pin connector and the little led on the LAN port on the back of the pc.

Now you would think that the problem lies in the PSU, but it's quite new and it worked fine before I swapped the motherboard, just like every other component by the way. The next thing that you'd expect to be the cause of all our problems would be a misplaced screw (those golden things that you screw in your case, and which you then screw the motherboard onto). However if this was the case there should be some fan or HDD activity, which tere isn't.

The motherboard is brand new and since there are lit leds and there is no fan or hdd activity, I don't think that this is the problem.

So what could it be? The PSU is turned on and everything is connected.

Any help or advice you could provide me with will be greatly appriciated.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, G0
Intel Desktop Board DP43BF
Corsair 8GB XMC RAM
OCZ 30GB VertexPlus SataII SSD
Samsung 1TB HDD
Samsung 500GB HDD
Seagate Barcuda 500GB HDD
Cooler Master Elite 430 case
Scythe Mugen 3 cooler
Sapphire HD6950 1GB Dirt 3 edition
OEM Fijustu Siemens DVD Drive
Corsair TX650M

Mastermind- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: No POST, No Fans, No Boot

Make sure everything is secured into their respective slots (RAM, PCI cards, power connectors, and CPU even).

Double check all those connections. Does your board support the Q6600 on the BIOS version you were on, or did it require you to be on a newer BIOS? I've see that happen with boards before, as well.

If you want to make sure it's not a grounding issue, take the motherboard out of the case, and while it's out, hook up all the components to it (lay the board on a piece of cardboard or something so no static gets to it and/or doesn't short about again). See if you can get it to boot then.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to strip it down to bare essentials to see if you can get it to POST either: CPU, 1 stick of RAM, and GPU (pci or on-board).

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: No POST, No Fans, No Boot

Step 1 - Confirm power button connector is attached to the correct pins.
Step 2 - Verify that you connected the 4-pin or 8-pin supplemental power connectors ( I'm leaning toward this as the cause ).
Step 3 - If it's still not working, take a paperclip and connect one of the green pins to one of the black pins on the PSU...if it comes on you know it's not the cause.
Step 4 - If still not working, you need to get it professionally looked at so a tech with all the extra testing parts ( like other power supplies ) can troubleshoot it.
computerrepair is offline   Reply With Quote