No POST - need second opinions pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobytob

Beta member
Hi all sorry for the book and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm working on a friends pc and need a second opinion on what I think is required to fix. Here's the story... Neighbor's house was hit by lightning. That evening my friends system stopped working...coincidence...who knows?

Basic Specs:
Biostar M6TLC M/B
Celeron SL2WN 333/66 CPU

The system powers up - cd, cpu, nic, hd spins, etc. all get power, but all I see is a black screen upon boot and no beeps.

Here's what I've done:

Removed the following and tested in a working system:
Video Card - works
HD1 - primary boot disc - can not read
HD2 - File storage - can access all data
Memory - no issues

I have tried a new power supply - same results
Replaced the CMOS battery - same results

Found the bios drivers for the board - heh, discovered the floppy drive doesn't work. Replaced the floppy with a known working drive - still no luck.

I am seriously thinking the m/b is gone....am I off base here or is there anything else I should try?

Thanks!

you said that the first hd doesn't read, try to get another hard drive with an os on it and try booting with that,...

the hd1 might not have read depending on the computer you tested it in, if it had an ntfs partition(win2k/xp) on it, it won't read in windows 98

the floppy might have been reset in the bios or something,...

was it on the internet?, and if so then motherboards with built in modems, and modems in general tend to get fried with lighning strikes through the phone line...

you said that the first hd doesn't read, try to get another hard drive with an os on it and try booting with that,...
Sorry...brain running faster than my fingers... Ya, I have a working drive with nothing but w2k on it and tried booting with that - no luck.

was it on the internet?, and if so then motherboards with built in modems, and modems in general tend to get fried with lighning strikes through the phone line...
their system is always connected through DSL, so in essence, I guess the answer to that question is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom