No picture on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
Alright so anyways... my buddies case fan that goes through a tunnel went out and his CPU overheated. He overheated his CPU 3 times. The CPU was trash. His computer eventually stopped turning on all together (due to the fan not running)... apparently the fan was working when he powered the computer on those 3 times, but it went out during use, because the computer was refusing to boot unless the fan was running. We got the fan working, by switching where it was plugged into... apparently the plug on the motherboard was being faulty or something. The computer would power on and we got picture, but his CPU was fried and the computer would turn off after a short time. We ordered a new CPU with the same socket type and put it in. We closed the ZIF and put thermal compound on top of the CPU. We put the heatsink back on top of the cpu and the tunnel over that. The case fan that blows through the tunnel to cool the CPU by blowing through the heatsink IS WORKING... for some reason though, we aren't getting any picture. To make things worse, his computer has NEVER put out any beep codes even the single beeps for successful boot, so there's no beep code error that I can look up to figure out why the picture isn't showing up on the screen. Any help much appreciated.

It's a different CPU than was originally in the computer (it's a better CPU)... just talked to my brother on Skype and he seems to think that the motherboard may have a shot capacitor and that the computer can't update the firmware. No clue though (don't have the computer in front of me right now to even check)

It's a different CPU than was originally in the computer (it's a better CPU)... just talked to my brother on Skype and he seems to think that the motherboard may have a shot capacitor and that the computer can't update the firmware. No clue though (don't have the computer in front of me right now to even check)

Thats very odd after what you said in your first post, look near the vga/dvi port and look at the capacitors from a safe distance.
If they seem kind of white/brownish type color and has bad smell to it...
Your best off chucking the mobo into a recycling bin and getting it disposed of properly.

Check near his pci-e connectors for anything out of the ordinary and check south brige on the mobo and see if you see any sort of damages.

If it looks dead, don't risk that second good cpu in there by trying to make it functional again.

The capacitors are fine. My Computer Networking teacher said that it's an issue with the bio's not supporting the CPU and that I need to look for an update to the BIOS and see if it will support the processor.

The current BIOS is: Intel Corp. PB9410J.15A.0163.2005.0707.1112, 7/7/05

This is the new CPU that I'm trying to put in: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

the old CPU was an Intel Pentium D

any help locating an update for this bios that will work with the new CPU... or some input if it even has an update that will support this new CPU much appreciated.

so hard trying to fix a computer that's not had one update since 7/7/05 (i'm not kidding he hasn't updated any windows things or anything). He's had the computer hooked up to the internet once or twice and never updated anything on it while it was on the internet. That wouldn't be so big of an issue except I'm trying to update this computer on a fried cpu that overheats and turns the computer off after 5-20 minutes of use... just so that I can get the new cpu to work so that it doesn't shut down from overheating anymore.

I am sorry to say this but good luck with that. If the PC hasn't had an update since 05 then some may take hours to completely finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom