No hard disk found/ New build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default No hard disk found/ New build

Hey
I helped my friend put together a computer yesterday. It powers up fine but we get the message NO hard drive found. If we go into BIOS it identifies it there but canít see it once we are out of BIOS. He has Biostar I45 and this
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives .

If we ignore that message and put in XP cd it crashes halfway through set up saying no hard drive found.

What can we try?
Thanks

Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: No hard disk found/ New build

Do you have sata enabled in the BIOS. XP DOES NOT SUPPORT SATA natively, so you either have to have the bios emulate the IDE environment by enabling ATCP (or something like that) in the bios.

The other option is to find the SATA drivers for your motherboard, burn them to a floppy, then install the OS and press F3 to install the SATA drivers at the beginning of your installation.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hello,

I am the person mentioned above. Just to add some things, when the computer boots, it says "no hard drive found", but when in BIOS, it indeed finds the HDD and lists it there. its a WD 640GB HDD, and I didnt have the chance to install windows yet, but when I do will it be able to install? Is that really the only way to know if the HDD is found?

Also, another problem I has is that the cooler I purchased seem to be bad:

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

the speed controller does not work, when the fan is conected to the controller and then to the Mobo, the fan wont work, but when the controller is taken out and the fan connect directly to the PSU and Mobo, it works.

What can be the proble, is there something I can do to fix this without sending back, is this problem a big deal or I should bother with it?

Will be greatful for any help,

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhas View Post
Hello,

I am the person mentioned above. Just to add some things, when the computer boots, it says "no hard drive found", but when in BIOS, it indeed finds the HDD and lists it there. its a WD 640GB HDD, and I didnt have the chance to install windows yet, but when I do will it be able to install? Is that really the only way to know if the HDD is found?
read lex's response to this. if your drive is SATA, you have to do what he said.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the responce, I didnt get the chance to try it yet but as soon as I will il update.

Any ideas regarding teh other issue im having? (Cooler)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

It could be a bad controller.

It's hard to say, as thats a part that works or doesn't.
Try plugging into a different fan header, or even get a 4-pin to psu power thingy.

Also try cranking the fan alkl the way up, as my fans don't start low, but need to be cranked... oh, maybe you need to turn off the bios setting to control the cpu fan, and just allow the controller regulate it.

Closed Thread