No CD Drives? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default No CD Drives?

I have 2 CD drives, one an older NEC DVD RW and a new (like 6 months old) Lite-On DVD drive. These drives used to work on my computer, but now my computer doesnt even reconize them. I open My Computer, and there are no CD drives there.

My computer has undergone several changes, like new motherboard and power supply after they were fried (stupid guy at the PC store didnt tell me that my Video Card needed a better power supply), as well as a nother HD, but i cant seem to get the CD drives to work. I tried finding drivers for them, but none seem to work correctly, they say it installed, but it doesnt change anything.

I dont know exactly what model the NEC is, but i remember seeing "NEC DVD_RW_100" or something similar to that.

any Ideas as to how to fix my problem?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

do the drives power on, i.e. the light flash when you turn the pc on and/or they can eject?

either way check that the power and data cables are connected to the drives and that the data cable is connected to the motherboard.

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i feel like such an idiot. I checked to see if the data cables were in the drives like 2 weeks ago, but didnt bother looking at the motherboard. thanks for the help... lmao.
Closed Thread