No Boot, Loud Fans - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default No Boot, Loud Fans

Summary: My PC is choking on my graphics card. Loud fans and no booting. It was fine for almost 2 years with one, then I got a replacement one on RMA and it freaked, and now I have another from RMA and it's doing more or less the same thing.

In detail:

It all starts a few months ago (I’ll try not to ramble too much!) when I had an overheating issue so I sent the card in for RMA replacement. I got a prompt replacement from BFG. Then I started to get this odd issue. It was intermittent at first - sometimes I’d get graphics distortion on the screen and an odd clicking noise inside the case and would have to reboot, but eventually it started to happen more constantly.

A friend said it was probably the card, so I RMAed *again* and got my current card. This one did the graphics distortion thing the first time I powered it, but then worked fine for a few weeks (go figure). Then all of a sudden the graphics distortion happened again (no clicking in the case this time), I rebooted and got loud fans and nothing on screen. But then I would try again a couple more times and it would boot, but then distort again. The space between booting and the problem slowly got more contracted (always following the pattern: distortion, reboot, loud fans. Then about 2 failed boots with loud fans then it would boot okay, then distort, etc etc), until it got to the point where I couldn’t ever boot, I just got the loud fans and nothing on screen. They were literally about 3-4x louder than usual. There was no beep code.

I figured this was probably a POST issue anyway, so I followed the steps in the POST guide on this website. I got as far as step 1. When I remove the graphics card the computer sounds as though it’s booting up normally (the fans sound normal). I can’t tell absolutely for sure as I don’t have an on-board graphics chip (and no spare PCI-E card) so I can’t get anything on screen. All I know is when I put the card back in it goes nuts again.

So I was wondering… what should I do? Chances are if I get another card it will just happen again I would have thought, it's already happened with two. It isn't the same card - I checked the serial numbers to be sure.

Thanks for reading, any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I have carefully sucked most of the dust out of the case with a mini hoover before you ask.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: No Boot, Loud Fans

Have you tried with just 1 stick of RAM by chance? Have you cleared CMOS? Try those things as well and see if you boot up or not.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
krazy Techie

i had the same problem and it was the ram...
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Naphtali14 Send a message via MSN to Naphtali14 Send a message via Yahoo to Naphtali14

Yeah double check all your RAM sticks dude. They can go bad. And as carnage said clear the CMOS of course. I've got a hard time believing that it was the graphics card both times. Then again it could happen >.>
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right, I got a new graphics card and tried that, the fans no longer spin up loudly like they did before, but still nothing on the screen.

I've done as you say and even followed the full list of POST troubleshooting detailed on this site to no avail. I've swapped each stick into each of the four DIMMs on my board, and even removed the battery and followed the CMOS clear procedures. All the fans are functioning for sure.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the CPU as I don't have sufficient expertise. Apart from the CPU, any other ideas please?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
krazy Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quafe View Post
Right, I got a new graphics card and tried that, the fans no longer spin up loudly like they did before, but still nothing on the screen.

I've done as you say and even followed the full list of POST troubleshooting detailed on this site to no avail. I've swapped each stick into each of the four DIMMs on my board, and even removed the battery and followed the CMOS clear procedures. All the fans are functioning for sure.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the CPU as I don't have sufficient expertise. Apart from the CPU, any other ideas please?

Thanks.
have you tried installing a new ram stick?
both mine went bust so i had to buy a new one to test it out...
i tried swapping motherboards and cpu and it wasnt it and that was a huge hassle.
so it will be easier by starting out with new ram since u can return it.

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 2TB + 1TB WD Black
Samsung Note 8
2TB White PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch & New 3DS XL
65" LG OLED C7P
BenQ 27" XL2720Z
Closed Thread