no bios, no beep - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default no bios, no beep

I've just started building a new system with the following components:

-DH57DD motherboard

-i3 550 processor

-G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) 240 pin SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC#10666) Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK

-Corsair 550vx PSU

All parts are new.

So far these are the only components installed. With no memory I get the 3 Beeps with LED blinking in unison which signals this. After putting in the memory I observe the following symptoms:

-All fans power on

-Standby light on motherboard is on

-Cpu fan slows slightly and only for a VERY brief moment about every three seconds.

-No POST beep whatsoever, Power LED does come on

-When a monitor is hooked up, receives no signal.

-I've tried each stick one at a time shifted between all the slots and both sticks at once, same symptoms regardless of position.

So what do you guys think? I am far from a pro, but from the reading I've done I've got the following guesses:

-because the system loses predictability when the memory is installed, it's probably the memory (rocket science, I know).

-while everything on the intel compatibility charts say this processor and motherboard are compatible, I've read that others have had problems with this configuration because the BIOS on this board doesn't meet the minimum requirements for this processor until updated, would this cause a problem like the one I'm having?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: no bios, no beep

The guy here had the same symptoms but turned out the issue was with his cpu not supporting on-board graphics:
TW3X4G1333C9A with Intel DH57DD board not booting - The Corsair Support Forums

I see that your cpu is documented to support on-board graphics, but it might be worth a shot to throw in a video card just to see if it is the source of the issue. That is, if you have a spare one on hand

Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sounds kind of similar, but my machine never shuts down it the fans continue to run as long as I leave the power on, but do that fan lag thing every few seconds. Unfortunately I don't have an extra video card on hand. I since have removed the motherboard from the case to make sure there's no short and removed and reinstalled the battery to reset cmos. Still same problem though.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I dug around on Intel's site and looked at the beep codes/light flash codes for you board.

Sounds like a memory problem to me. I had a similar issue with a PC I built a few years ago. Turns out the memory was incompatible because my motherboard was so incredibly picky. Intel boards can be like that...
Any way you can try a different stick of DDR3? If worse comes to worse just pick one up at BBY, install it, and return it once you've figured out the problem.
Have you tried just installing one stick at a time? In different slots?
Closed Thread