No beeps, fans spinning, NO video - please help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default No beeps, fans spinning, NO video - please help

I just got my e6400 system up and running a few weeks ago and am putting together a system for my dad with old P4 parts. Got the basics hooked up ... 1 hd, 1 pptical, ati 9600 pro vid card. I power up for the first time and sounds like it should sound - all fans spinning, no beeps, no strange noises.

Problem is I get no video whatsoever. I thought maybe it was the card (although I had this exact card running earlier today when i was getting the last of my files off). I dropped in an older 9000 pro and still no video. The fan on the 9600 is spinning, so it has enough of a connection to the mobo for at least that to happen. The only front panel connectors I have hooked up are on/off and reset, if that matters.

The old parts include: p4 2.8, Intel D865PERL mobo, radeon 9600 pro, WD 80 gb (with random files on it - no OS), NEC dvd, old crt that was also working earlier today

Does anyone have recommendation for troubleshooting? Are there any initial steps you need to take when it's a new build from old parts - do i need to reset the mobo somehow?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Does this motherboard have onboard video. If so make sure and disable it in your BIOS.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

try resetting the Cmos by popping the battery from the mobo for couple minutes
P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

no onboard video - one other thing, and this is a no-brainer almost, but it's a 350w psu, down from a 420. I assume that's plenty to power the p4, hd and dvd, but just wanted to clarify that. i'll try the battery now.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

OK, reset the cmos and no luck. Something else strange that is happening ... when I have both the hd and the dvd hooked up to mobo, the dvd drive doesn't have any power - the open button won't open it. BUT, if I remove the mobo ide connector and leave the power plugged in to the drive, it does get power and I can open it.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dexaroni Send a message via MSN to Dexaroni

Well then it sounds like a mobo problem. Easy solution is to get a new mobo. But before you do that, check around for any loose connections.

And if the mobo is fracked up, then there would be no beeps.

Closed Thread