Nic broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Hello.

Alright, well, i was in the middle of a game when i got disconected and saw the " a network cable is unplugged" icon. So i thought it was maybe an ISP maintenance check or something.Soon after i realized my dad's internet was still working. So i thought and was hopping that it was some software issue, i booted into ubuntu and tried to connect to the internet, but i wasn't able to.

The only conclusion i can see is that my NIC is broken? or the ethernet cable is busted up or something? Could there be any other conclusion drawn?

Like i haven't touched the back of my computer for a little while, and when i got disconnected it was very sudden and i hadn't touched anything related to my computer. It just got cut off like that

Thanks for the help

Does the card still get detected in Device Manager?

Its more likely the wire got damaged though.. or its pin to secure it into the NIC popped off, and it became loose... (it happens here all the time)

alright, well its still visible in device manager, so i guess maybe the wire is broken... But also i forgot to mention, you know when you plug your ethernet cable into the NIC then a light turns on? Well when i unplug my ethernet the green light is still flashing. It doesn't turn off or anything. But i guess my best shot is to replace the cable.

Cables rarely fail without being physically touched. It's certainly an easy thing to swap out, but I'd be surprised if that were the issue. Since you were gaming, the system was taxed, and the problem could be with the NIC itself.

If it is still flickering green when unplugged then it seems that the NIC is dead. Check to make sure none of the pins are touching each other, if not, replace the nic.

Yeah my NIC is intergraded with my motherboard =/ I haven't checked yet, but i'm hoping theres enough slots to fit a new NIC.

Anyways thanks for the feedback, i'll probably just get a new NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom