Newly built computer that constantly reboots - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to NewAgeArt
Question Newly built computer that constantly reboots

Hey guys, I’m not that new at building computers but my newly built computer is giving me some problems. When I turn on my computer, there’s a single short beep and it just keeps on rebooting as soon as it gets to the initial diagnosing screen during start up then reboots and keeps on rebooting. I can’t get anywhere… no bios, no nothing… just reboots constantly. I thought it could have been the memory giving me the problem but, no hope in that because I’ve tried three kinds of ram. Another thing I thought of was some kind of overheating but I checked for that. If anyone can give me some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you…

Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

what kind of specs are we talking? what type of psu? Does your motherboard manual say anything about the beep code you are hearing?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeh whats the post beep mean? It sounds like an overheating problem. I had one recently but mine just kept shutting down. Is it possible to quickly get into the BIOS?
Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
4Ghz 1066 RAM
GeForce 8800GTS 320MG
Themaltake Armor

Diploma in IT Computer Networking
Bachelor of Computer Science
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

is it a 24 pin psu? does the motherboard need one? try resetting the CMOS.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you dont think the guitar is cool, then youre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to NewAgeArt

My specs:

Dfi Lan party 875p-T motherboard (a replacement motherboard)
3.2 Pentium 4 (came as a bundle with the motherboard)
184 pin 512mb ultra ddr x 2 (new)
Maxtor 200mb HD (previously used prior to the new motherboard)
Plextor dvd drive (previously used from my other motherboard)
Ultra X-Connect 500 watt power supply

Yes, it’s a 24 pin psu motherboard and I had the connection wire from my other board.

In no way, shape, or form can I get into the bios because it reboots right after the diagnostic screen finishes the cpu testing.

I have seached all over for the beep codes in the user’s manual for the motherboard and there’s nothing what so ever about beep codes. I did do a search online for beep error codes but for the most part, the one single short beep means that the system is ok.

As for the cmos, do you mean change the jumper from the default positioning to the reset positioning? If so, I tried that and the computer wouldn’t start.

Thank you guys for your concern…
Closed Thread