Newly built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compguys

Solid State Member
I have a newly built computer, I have built myself. I have all the hardware installed and plugged in coreectly and tight enough. The problem is It reboots everytime I load into windows. I have tried adjusting settings(mem issue with one other comp worked), But nothing is helping. I even flashed the cmos thinking it would help. My Question for you is what would be the likely cause?

I have the following installed:
ECS nForce 570 SLIT-A Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz DT 800FSB Socket 775
Ultra 600W X-Finity Power Supply w/2 80MM fans
Kingston pc2-4200 256MB Ram
Western Digital 250GB 7200rpm HD
ATI Radeon X1300 512MB Hypermemory Video Card

This is what is currently in it and haveing issues with. I did have an (Ultra 1024MB PC-2 4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory) in it. It wasn't qualified for the board so I stuck in the lowest one I could find that was(currently installed). I called the The Motherboard manufacturer and asked them. They said it was a bad file in windows and to repair it. Nothing else was asked, they hung up on me. None the less it didn't work. Could it be bad bios and if so, how do I upgrade without being able to get into windows? Drives work just fine in other machines, but no drives, even good ones will work in it. I can't install windows on any drive while it's in the machine either. It comes up with errors, but same disk works just fine on my other machine...I really need help on this.

Thanks for info and help.
Compguys

You can upgrade the BIOS through a floppy, this is usually the second way of doing it or use to be the primary way.

You can't reinstall Windows on the machine without errors? Run memtest to test your memory Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Second most likely problem, bad CD/DVD drive.

Third, motherboard.

EDIT* Also your PSU might also be the cause unless you can swap it for one that's been known to work.

The Power supply is good as I did take it from one of the other machines I had. replaced the power supply in it to a Larger Size.

The Memory I have tried installing with both sticks(at seperate times) in the machine and it still won't install. Drive I used had windows installed already, and it would reboot. I also threw in a 250Gb Sata Drive and could not get it to install on it either. I'll still run the memtest and also try to locate My bios upgrades(if available) for my board. Will post what I find out.

If it ends up being the motherboard, it's no big loss. My Videaocard is a crossfire and I have 2 of them. This board won't run both so a new board would be worth it.

Thank You,
Compguys

Also....How do I run the memtest on the other comp? what file will I need to run? New to the memtesting on machines useing floppies.

Windows always require a repair or better yet a reinstall when moving a hard drive with the OS to another machine with different hardware spec. That reboot is probably normal.

The problem with not being able to reinstall Windows is not normal.

So you are installing Windows XP? How far did you get with 250Gb Sata Hard Drive? Did you need to supply the SATA driver?

You just burn it to a CD and boot to the CD. Making sure your boot order has the CD first before the hard drive on the other machine if Windows is installed.

*EDIT* You just need this file http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.3.iso.zip
Unzip it, you'll get the ISO. Burn it as an image with your favorite CD burning software or if you don't have one here's a free one that will do. The Official ImgBurn Website

Thank You for the info I need...yes, I am installing win xp. I have gotten anywhere from the blue setup/format screen all the way thru to almost done, before it will error out and reboot or freeze up.

I had my other computer do this similar thing, but got past it by setting my ram read speed down lower. still set that way too. need new ram in it so I can set it back and run normally again.

This computer just won't do that. I don't think I got disks with the sata drive, but I'll look and see.

Thank you,
Compguys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom