Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredCollie

Solid State Member
I'm trying to transfer data from a hard drive taken out of a laptop,
with Vista installed, to a desktop with XP installed. It's a SATA
(assuming that's the one that doesn't have the grey ribbon) and I have
connected the drive internally using the two required connections. The drive
gets warm but is not recognised in My Computer, the Bios or the Device Manager.

I have also tried connecting it via a caddy to the USB port. By this method, the drive is recognised in the Device manager, but only as 'Mass Storage Device'. It's not recognised in My Computer.

Everything went wrong when the laptop started cutting out because the internal power socket was faulty. Suddenly it decided it wouldn't run the boot sequence or the repair console; rather, it just kept reverting to the beginning at a given point in the sequence. Does this mean that something in the HDD's chipboard has blown?

Can anyone suggest a way of accessing my data?

With thanks in advance.

GO to control panel, than system and security, admin tools, computer mangment, than go to disk mangment, storage, than disk mangment.

or

go to start and type in "disk man" its the 2nd option

check to see if your hard drive is listed on there.

It doesn't recognise the disk in Disk Management.
I typed disk man into Start > Run but it didn't accpet the term
With thanks.

Oh, my mistake.

Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

Oh, my mistake.

Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

Thanks but nothing in Disk Management shows this disk. I suppose I will need to replace the chipboard by buying another disk with exactly the same serial number? I wouldn't know even where to find the serial number....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom