New video card installed, lost sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkygreenthing

Beta member
hello all,

i just installed a new graphics card (Radeon 4770HD), everything seemed to work fine except when i loaded HL2 and then Winamp. Winamp's error was specifically: 'bad sound driver...,' but both were on the same lines... no sound.

my previous card was old. a Radeon X300 series. it was included w/ the comp. when i purchased it some 5 years ago.

is it possible that the sound and the video were coming from the same card? i was under the impression sound could come from the mobo or a sound card. i sort of remember the video card and sound being called, 'integrated,' when i purchased the cpu though. either way, i do not get sound when i turn on my cpu so i know something is wrong.

can anyone assist?

let me know if you need more info to help.

thanks guys,

will

eidt: just check and i am not currently plugging my speakers into an expansion port so that leads me to believe the sound is integrated on the mobo. i just need to install new drivers. do i install new mb drivers though?

here is the image i see under sound:

nosound.png

Some more info would help. If this is a store bought computer just go to the maker web site look for support drivers and input your make of computer and look in the drivers section for sound driver.If this is a homemade computer find the name on the motherboard and go to the board maker site and do the same thing. After you get the drivers uninstall the old drivers in control panel,system,hardware.

I would check what your default playback device is. The vid card you go has the ability to use hdmi and send audio that way as well. It probably has that set at default playback and the correct drivers were not installed. If you want to use your old sound set it as default playback device in sound properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom