New upgrade.....no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp855

Solid State Member
upgrade...no sound...Problem solved, Thanks!!

I recently upgraded to

biostar tforce 550se am2 MCP ATX ver5.0 motherboard

amd athlon 64x2 3600 brisbane dual core processor

2 X 512 corsair ddr2 800 memory

seagate barracuda hdd

windows xp home w/sp2

I got it all installed and everything seems to be working perfectly except the sound. Windows says there is no sound device. The integrated sound is enabled in the bios setting.

I went to biostar to get drivers. It is a 25Megabyte file and i'm on dial up so i went to realtek and downloaded a hotfix file 700kb. When i tried to install the drivers it came up as "this is not a valid win32 application file".

I contacted biostar and they told me to load optimized bios default setting and download the drivers at this url
BIOSTAR

It is a 25mb file and at about 10 mb downloaded it came up and ask if i wanted to run this file i clicked yes. Then an error came up not a 32 bit file or something like that, it closed or i closed it (out of frustration) before reading all of it.

Can you please help??

Do you have all current Windows updates? Look in the optional updates for one about generic host processes or something like that.

Edit: I think it is KB894391 that fixes it.

go to mycomputer > properties > then Hardware tab > device manager.

Under sound is there any yellow question marks? If so then click on it and install drivers. Or pop in disk for mobo and install sound drivers like mentioned above.

downloaded KB894391 update
re-installed the drivers that came with mobo

and it did fix it WoooooHooooo You guys rock!!!!!!

Thanks a million!!

I was kind of confused when i went to microsoft looking for the update becuase i found several with the same number but said nothing about sound in the short description. I decided on the 32 bit update and it worked.

I want to thank you guys for your help over the last couple years. I had always wanted to build my own computer and then stumbled across this site. I spent hours reading then in jan 06 i built my first computer ie; msi k8n neo and an athlon64, the build went flawlessly. It did everything i ask it to but the psu went bad and out of desperation i installed a cheap psu. About 3 weeks later i paid the price for the cheap psu, my motherboard died. At least i'm blaming the psu. So on my old standby computer i came here again and spent several hours reading posts and product reviews in newegg (they rock also). I could have spent the money for the intel core 2 duo setup but that's too much power for my needs. So i opted for the tforce 550 and an athlon 64x2 brisbane, which seemed to be the most recommended for a midrange computer. This setup seems to be very stable and has performed flawlessly since fixing the sound.

I have read many posts hoping i could help someone in return but most of it is over my head. I read posts where the person asking for help gets rude or doesn't bother thanking you or to even reply it fixed the problem.

Again, thank you for the education i've gotten the last 1.5 years!!!!!!!!

Haha, well if it's your Audio, it has nothing to do with Microsoft's updates. Well that sucks hearing that your PSU went dead. If you spent a bit more money it would have still been running, right? Being desperate to get your computer back up was not a really good idea ;)! Haha, well that sucks how you replaced it with a cheap PSU. Keep this in mind that Newegg Product Reviews aren't so good, you should come here and ask us about the reviews! :laughing: It's good that you've got your budget system up and running, maybe if you get a bit more interested into technology you'll probably go for an Intel setup? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom