new tower build just cant work out whats going on. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default new tower build just cant work out whats going on.

Hi guys so iv been working on my new computer i made, and for the life of me i cant work out whats going on. iv spend hours looking at google (guess im not searching the right thing). hope you guys can help.

comp specs:
-GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R - motherboard
- I7 950 3.06ghz - CPU
- NVIDIA GTX 580 - gpu
- 60gb Coasir SSD - hard drive
- 200gb westen digital green - hard drive
- after market CPU cooler (cant remember but it works well)
- i've put the OS on the SSD and all programs on the Green drive.
- no over clocking has been done (yet)
- windows 7 ultermate (64bit) from tecnet (yes i have an account)

i have had (once) BSOD 0x0000000f4 all the googleing seems to say hard drive problem.
when im trying to play a game (crysis 2, fallen new vagas, need for speed shift 2) it will play the video intros. as soon (.5 sec - 3 sec) as the game kicks in the computer reboots (realy quick like a short circit, no beeps from computer)

what i've done:

at first i though must be graphics card so i Downloaded a GPU stress tested (sorry cant remember think it started with a F......) this put the GPU under 99.9% of usage using 14% of the memory. i ran this for 15-20 min (card hit 86C. stable) no problems. i then got a CPU stress tester all cores at 100% for 30min (CPU temp max temp of 38C.) double check looking at task manager and a 3rd party harware stats veiwer that it was at 100% on each core). then got hard drive stess tester tranfered all the data for read and wright at max speed with no errors left to run for an hour.
i've reinstalled the OS twice, aswell as ive reinstalled the OS on the ssd with out having the Green drive pluged in. and reinstalled on the Green drive with out the SSD pluged in. i've usedboth SATA0 and SATA1 for the OS installed HD. i think thats all
i REALY need some expert help on what to try next im close to throwing 1300 quid of kit out the window and go back to my usless Acer laptop.

P.S. i cant spell for my life, sorry.

P.P.S in all other then the first install of the OS there has only been steam installed to play the games.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: new tower build just cant work out whats going on.

On what drive is your Page File located? Is the 200GB Western Digital Green a new drive? You have a SSD drive, did you perform any of the recommended tweaks to optimize the drive health and performance? You can check out this SSD Tweak Guide.

You should run Memtest86+ to eliminate the possibility that your memory is is writing corrupt data to your drive.

You should go to Spyware-Asylum, select your OS and Full Scan. Follow the guide carefully and post your logs here.

Those games your trying to play, do they require a internet connection to play (for verification/anti-piracy)? Go to Device Manager and look at your Network Adapter. If it is a Realtek device "Roll the Driver Back" to the previous version (the option is located on the Driver Tab).

Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Have you tried installing ffdshow codecs? I remember one game I had would not run without them (may have been Fallout 3). A full codecs package ought to include them.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Get K-Lite codecs. Always used 'em, never had a problem.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread