New system won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
I've been helping a friend of mine build a computer. We assembled it a few days ago and tried to start it up yesterday.

CPU: e8500
Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
GPU: Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
HDD:Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory
Case: Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

His RAM hasn't come in yet, but we wanted to start it up so he bought a temporary set of 2 gigs from BestBuy.

We put the bestbuy RAM in, computer turned on fine, but nothing showed up on the monitor (we tried two monitors). He thought it might be because the monitor was plugged into a 4850 with no drivers or anything (it's new), so we plugged a CRT into the motherboard's VGA slot, still nothing. Reseated the RAM, still nothing.

Then we realized the Bestbuy RAM was 667, while the standard for the motherboard is 800.

Would that prevent the BIOS from POSTing? We did hear the beep at startup once out of like 5 or 6 tries.

Then we realized the Bestbuy RAM was 667, while the standard for the motherboard is 800.

Would that prevent the BIOS from POSTing? We did hear the beep at startup once out of like 5 or 6 tries.

It doesn't matter if the Memory is 667 or 800. One problem that could occur with the Motherboard is that very few motherboards doesn't support mixed memory (e.g 1 GB 667 and 1 GB 800). The 800 memory is the standardized memory that should be on your motherboard (should be stated in booklet). Remember, DDR2 800 transfers data faster than 667. So it is recommendable to use the 800.

I agree, you'd be better off using 800MHz RAM instead of 667MHz, however only if the board's manuals does not state that 667 is supported.

Edit: I just checked Gigabyte's website:
3. Support for DDR2 800/667 MHz memory modules
It's definitely supported, so there's either something physically with the RAM or there's a problem elsewhere.
Are all required power connectors connected? (video card, CPU and motherboard)
Try each stick of RAM on it's own.

Oh, and I just noticed this:
Because of chipset limitations
* To avoid the system being unable to start or the memory being incorrectly detected, if only one memory module is to be installed, we suggest that you install it on the DDR2_1 or DDR2_3 socket; to install two memory modules, we suggest that you install them on the DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 sockets.
So make sure you meet that.

I agree, you'd be better off using 800MHz RAM instead of 667MHz, however only if the board's manuals does not state that 667 is supported.

Edit: I just checked Gigabyte's website:

It's definitely supported, so there's either something physically with the RAM or there's a problem elsewhere.
Are all required power connectors connected? (video card, CPU and motherboard)
Try each stick of RAM on it's own.

Oh, and I just noticed this:

So make sure you meet that.

Wouldn't the mention of DDR2_1, DDR2_2, and DDR_3 slots suggest there are three slots? Because there are only two memory slots on the GA-G41 ES2L motherboard. So I just inserted both chips.

Also, I think I remember that we tried starting the system with no memory at all. Was that a pretty bad idea?

EDIT: Yeah, the two memory slots are labeled DDR2_1 and DDR2_2. I guess we'll try either stick in both slots.

Also, I think I remember that we tried starting the system with no memory at all. Was that a pretty bad idea?
Not a bad idea in the sense that it will cause damage, but a bad idea in the sense that it wouldn't work, at all :p

Wouldn't the mention of DDR2_1, DDR2_2, and DDR_3 slots suggest there are three slots? Because there are only two memory slots on the GA-G41 ES2L motherboard.
I imagine then that they put that message on all their motherboards, easier than cherry-picking the ones it doesn't apply to.
Though it serves me right for not looking at the picture :p

The mobo should be beeping or something if it's a problem with the memory.

I maybe reading your post wrong but your mobo has built-in video and your using a 4850. Take the 4850 out of the PC and try it.

You didn't say what kind of a Power Supply your using. My 1st advice would be to double check all your connections. Especially the 8pin mobo power connector.

Did you use the mobo stand-offs? I'm assuming your answer is yes. Make sure all the stand-offs line up with a mobo hole, a misplaced stand-off will short the mobo out causing it to do nothing.

Unplug the drives 1 at a time and try it as you unplug them.

Right now I'm feeling that the most likely answer is a weak or defective power supply

Yeah, the mobo manual does say it will beep X number of times if it is a problem with memory, video card, or a few other things. And it's not beeping; it did do a normal successful start beep once though.

Yeah, the mobo does have built in video; we did try that. We took the 4850 out, plugged a CRT into the VGA slot, nothing.

Yeah, forgot the psu. It's an XClio 750 watt. The 8-pin mobo power connector is in there fine, seems to be.

I didn't do the stand-offs myself, in fact they wouldn't have gone on at all if I hadn't said, "Hey, put those stand-offs on." So we'll check those out next.

Should I try starting it up with no hard drive or dvd drive hooked up, just to eliminate those as possible problems? The BIOS screen should still come up, right? And/or the Gigabyte flash screen?

EDIT: through the whole process, the DVD drive also would not open. Its light was on, but it wouldn't open. Not sure if that means anything.

Good news! I'm an idiot!

Turns out we never plugged in the 12v rail 4-pin power connector. I saw the port for it on the motherboard today (and that it was empty), and did a little research. I didn't know that the motherboards that have these need them to be plugged in, or else the CPU won't get any power. I found the right cord in the PSU box, plugged it in, turned the computer on. Everything booted up fine.

The e8500 is showing to be 2.86 ghz rather than 3.16. I guess that's the power saving thing, or that C1E halt-state thing, or both. Guess I'll see to that later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom