New System Really SLOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onggie

Solid State Member
I just built this computer and for some reason everything is really, really slow! Windows XP Pro took 8 hours to install, to format one 200gb SATA II drive, doing a full format under NTFS took just about 9 hours. Which is really, really bad and I can't work out why it is acting this way. Also when doing all the setup in the Windows installer it was really sluggish and lagged. I want to try update the BIOS but on the ASUS website it says that you should

To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.

Another problem is sometimes the monitor doesn't boot/turn on. It just stays in stand by mode. Maybe I should of gone with my gut feeling and not bought a Leadtek card! This card is really, really loud! Like you can't work with how loud it is. If normal fans run at about 20DBa (I have 4 fans and 1 heatsink in the case) then this is like 100DBa and just isn't exceptable!

I have no idea what it was! This is my system

CPU:
AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ SOCKET 939 64-bit with HyperTransport Technology, 1MB cache - BOXED

Motherboard:
A8N-SLI PREMIUM - S939,NFORCE4 SLI,2PCIE

Graphics
Leadtek Winfast 6800GS, DDR3 256mb

Ram:
Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB (2x XMS1GB) PC-3200 Dual Ch. DDR RAM, 2x128Mx64non-ECC, 184-pin DIMMs, Unbuffered, 3-3-3-8, 64Mx8 DRAMs, Heat Spreader, Lifetime warranty, Designed in USA

Hard Drive:x3
Seagate ST3250823AS SATA NCQ 250G 8MB 7200.8

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum with I/O Drive & IR Remote

Case:
Cooler Master CM Stacker 810

PSU:
560w SilverStone Zeus ST56ZF

DVD ROM:
Samsung DVD Rom Black 16X Drive OEM

DVD Burner:
Asus DRW-1608P

Monitor:
My old Hitachi CRT 17", good working order until the LCD comes in!

Speakers:
ACSP2500 Inspire 2500 2.1 speakers

Floppy Driver:
Sony 3.5" 1.44Mb Black Floppy Drive, MPF920Z121

Heat Sink:
Stock AMD heatsink!

Mouse:
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer With Tilt Wheel, Five Programmable Buttons, Accelerated Scrolling

Keyboard:
Multimedia Keyboard with Hot keys, Enhanced F keys, Zoom slider; and Optical Wheel Mouse; Interface: USB with a PS/2 adapter)

I have tried unplugging all the hard drives except one, I have tried unplugging all the DVD-ROMS and floppies. I am running at out solutions, I am going to try another graphics card when I can get my hands on one. But this is looking really bad. I tried searching the problem, etc, but no one seems to have the same problem!

Also can I used the 32-Bit version of Windows XP Pro or do I need the 64-Bit version?

If anyone can help me it would be appreciated!

EDIT: Fixed somethings

Ok I just tried installing the 64-Bit version of Windows and that didn't solve the problem! So I can rule that out!

Ok try resetting the BIOS, make sure all the settings are at default. Go into windows and download/flash the latest version of BIOS for your motherboard.

Everything is correctly installed I certain on that. I think I may have to contact Asus :S. With your 3800+ did you use a 64-Bit version of Windows XP?

Well like usual Asus never reply to their customers! Anyone else know what I can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom