New system, needing help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwr89

Baseband Member
Ok, I've never ever ever ever have this much trouble with a new system.

specs:

Core 2 quad Q8200
Asus P5Q-E
4Gb Corsair Ballistics
Radeon HD 3650
IDE DVD burner
SATA 500GB HDD
Antec Sonata II
600W Antec PSU

Now, I get it all put together. fire it up and it posts and boots from the CD wonderfully. I get into the Windows XP Pro installation and crash. restarts and crash. after 5 or so hours of fighting with it I finally get windows XP installed. Initially I was trying to use an old PCI expansion card that was fighting with the installation but I got that taken care of. so I go to log in and start reconstruction my PC. It freezes on the login screen just after I type my password and hit enter. its done this about 60 times.

I am now back in the re-installing process.

this is my 3rd system with a P5Q in it and I love the mainboard. but I've read that this could be a chip set problem. I don't want to rip up another system to try a different motherboard. but I got the HDD plugged into my other system and its fine.
I know the ram doesn't conflict as I did check that in both my other systems using memtest on both machines.

what do you think?
your guess is as good as mine.

~Casey

Moved to the right section.

It sounds like you're having some motherboard problems...you said you've had it for a while, right?

Hmm. It's possible it's defective...

Mobo is most likely. The GPU is a possibility , but not as likely.

I would say RMA it, or if you have another one laying around, try that one to confirm with all the current parts to narrow it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom