New sound card might have killed my Vista install? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
If you have the Vista DVD you can boot to that and it has a option in the Repair section for using Restore Points. If none are available you can get the data off the drive. It might take some work but you should be able to do it in XP easily.

At most it would require you to take ownership of the Vista files. But that isnt that hard to do. Once you did you could get the data you wanted off of Vista and from there format that drive/partition and reinstall.

If using XP doesnt work you could always use a Linux LiveCD as well. That should allow you to get the data off of the Vista install so you dont lose all that data.

Good Deal man, gonna give it a go tonight. I'll let ya know if I succeed with getting my data backed up through XP, since booting off the Vista DVD is only resulting in BSOD's. Good looking out-

I would like everybody on here to know that I am indeed a huge ****** bag. After deleting both of my operating systems I threw in Vista for a fresh install to solve this sound card problem once and for all. And guess what? I got the same BSOD as I did before...even with a formatted hard drive. You see I'm to smart and certainly to stubborn to run memtest one more time...why should I? I just did it last week after all. Well, I ran memtest after my most recent BSOD and I got about 80,000 errors within seconds. Turns out (of course) 2 sticks of my memory were screwed. So yes, everybody cheer me...countless hours of frustration, to deleted OS's and two threads on two different forums...just to discover it was a memory problem. I am king ******.

Closed Thread