New sound card might have killed my Vista install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeycoronado

Beta member
I feel kinda guilty asking this here since I did inquire about it on another forum but they seem to be unable or unwilling to reply...which is ok since I only asked it yesterday. But I figure it might be wise to belong to numerous forums anyways.

It wouldn't be such a rush but I have limited time (like we all do I suppose) and need to get this fixed this weeked...or do a complete format. Anyways, thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I just dropped $200 (well that included overnight shipping) on my new HT Omega Claro Plus sound card and put her into my system a bit ago and here's what happened.

For one it did something to my Bios making it highly recommended that I reset a bunch of my settings (oh well no big deal, I can put my overclocks back later I figured), but then I got hit with a BSOD while trying to get into Vista...you know, one of those "windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer, please remove any new hardware and disable memory cache, yada yada yada.

Strange but whatever, figured maybe there was some freak driver conflict or something. So I remove my soundcard and boot back up...well the BSOD was still there. Beautiful. Well maybe I screwed some vista files up? No big deal I'll just pop in my disc and repair. Well...the minute I select any windows option from the disc I get the **** BSOD again.

No matter what I do I can't get into vista? Strange thing is I can boot into my XP Pro just fine and dandy. I even put the sound card back in and went into XP and it sounds great. But anyways...umm...any thoughts?

I played with the option in my Bios that says "enable if you installed new hardware and OS refuses to boot" with no luck...I don't believe it's the memory because the 6 gigs I have in there now is brand new (installed 3 days ago) and I ran memtest for 13 hours with no errors. I guess I'm a little confused as to how and even approach this one? Did the card just kill my Vista install?

I can't even boot off of the disc to do a fresh install or anything? Is my only choice a complete format of my drive? I don't mind doing that but I prefer a different solution really since both of my OS's are on my internal drive and it would be a pain to have to re-install everything. Hoping maybe somebody can give a hand.

Coolermaster Stacker 830 w/7 120mms
1000w RealPower Pro PS
EVGA 680i (A1)
Q6600@3.26ghz Mounted with a Zalman 9700
6Gigs of Dominator PC8500 with Dominator Memory cooler-
2x8800gt@675mhz
HT Omega Claro Plus 7.1
500G HD
1 TB Phantom Green Drive (external)

Do you have the Stop Error code that Vista is giving you so we can try and diagnose their further?

Right now as it stands it could be one of several things. But without getting that information from the stop error code, we will only be guessing.

Well I never got into vista to install the drivers. But anyways here's what I could catch before it restarts

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

stop:0x00000050

and then a bunch of other numbers.

I can't get into safe mode or any other option for vista including anything off of the disc. It just blue screens no matter what. I went looking for an option to disable memory caching but I can't find it in my BIOS of course. So unless there is some way for me to alter my Vista files through xp I'm thinking I'm done fore and will have to format that partition and re-install vista.

I know this error occours after faulty hardware is installed but what gets me is my soundcard works great in xp. Just **** strange. Not only that but I've since then tried to put my overclcoks back up and my Bios refuses to cooperate. I can't even put my memory back to it's default speed? It will only boot with all the Bios's defaults and nothing else. What the? But aside from that, would running fdisk help? Maybe it's a drive error? Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Just because it works great in XP doesnt mean it will work great in Vista. They are coded totally different. Just because they are both Windows doesnt automatically mean that hardware will work flawlessly between the 2 OS's without some issues.

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Resolving the Problem

Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

Just because it works great in XP doesnt mean it will work great in Vista. They are coded totally different. Just because they are both Windows doesnt automatically mean that hardware will work flawlessly between the 2 OS's without some issues.

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Resolving the Problem

Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

I apologize, When I said I was confused because it worked great in XP I meant it in the sense that the soundcard itself was not faulty. I found that microsoft help page while googling before resorting to forum help but nothing it suggests works. Of course like I said before I have yet to run Chkdsk or Fdisk so maybe I should hold my tongue.

Kinda bummed because that card is supposed to have a fantasic Vista 64 compatibility.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it!

Well from what i am gathering it works great in XP 32 Bit but you are having issues with it in Vista 64 Bit?

Have you removed all the old sound card drivers? Have you tried a System Restore?

Vista does not have a Repair feature. So if you cant use a Restore point then you wont have any other option but to format and reinstall.

I might have made the mistake of not looking for drivers to uninstall after I simply disabled onboard sound in my bios. With that in mind I might be done for since I can't use any features of vista whatsoever which would include I assume the restore point feature. It's really a frustrating problem. But seeing as that I had backed up all my data on my external I suppose I don't have a problem doing a re-install. Trying to avoid it since I have over a thousand albums worth of album art that I put together by hand in media player (I have the songs themselves saved but I'm not sure if media player will save the album art?) So I'm hitting up google to see if I can back up my media player. Then it's so long to my old Vista install. This seems to be the first O/S problem I haven't been able to solve, even with help, lol. Oh well first time for everything I guess. Let me know if you can think of anything else, and thx again for your help! I would send you Rep but I'm new and don't believe I have any to give?

(Sorry for the big block of sentences, in a hurry)

If you have the Vista DVD you can boot to that and it has a option in the Repair section for using Restore Points. If none are available you can get the data off the drive. It might take some work but you should be able to do it in XP easily.

At most it would require you to take ownership of the Vista files. But that isnt that hard to do. Once you did you could get the data you wanted off of Vista and from there format that drive/partition and reinstall.

If using XP doesnt work you could always use a Linux LiveCD as well. That should allow you to get the data off of the Vista install so you dont lose all that data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom