Is This New SATA Drive Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowball

Beta member
I recently bought two new SATA hard drives, 160GB, and put them in my computer. The new motherboard is an Asus K8U-X with onboard SATA RAID 1, so that's what I set up. These are not my boot drives.

Everything was fine after I got it all set up and restored my data from backup tape (these drives replaced an older one that had failed). Then I went to back the RAID up using Retrospect 7 and it hung with a nasty read error.

I tried to boot up again but it wouldn't do it. It said the second drive was bad.

I took out the second drive and it booted just fine with the single, first drive. Then I switched them and it booted up with only the second drive in the system. It had a few issues finding the drive, but then when it did it was fine.

I ran Check Disk and had it automatically fix errors.

It ran fine for a few more days, including a couple backups. Then the same thing happened again -- failure of the second drive during a backup, due to a write error.

I just took it out. I haven't done anything with it.

I'm not sure if I should exchange it for another drive or not -- if it's not bad, I pay to ship it there and back. How can I make sure before I ship it back? Is there a utility I can use that goes over the disk and lets me know if something is wrong with it, or if something isn't perfect? This is a new drive.

Thanks!

all makers of hdd's have diagnostic tools for these kinds of problems. If the drive didn't come with the diagnostic disc (OEM hdd's don't) then just download it from their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom