New router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0sh

Beta member
I have just got a linksys Wireless -G router, I have followed the way it say to do and have done ever thing, but when i conect it. it says " limited or no connection" and does not let me use the net when the router is conected... How can i fix this? also when i run the setup cd.. it says no router dected? but i have conected ever thing..

Can any one help me??

Thanks

sounds like the router isnt giving out an I.P address to the computer/s......have you changed the default i.p address of the router...(192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) ?? your router will have come with a manual telling you the i.p address if your not too sure...if you havnt changed it try goin into

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Right Click Local area connection>Properties>Double click TCP/IP>Use the following I.P address....

then give it an i.p address of 192.168.0.110 or 192.168.1.110 depending if you have changed it or not :)

let me know how u go

sorry can u explane for some one who no's about computers but not alot about that side of it...with networking and ip adresses..

You cant just give your computer a static IP. It will still need to get the DNS info from his ISP. Go into the router and make sure that DHCP is turned on. Open a web browser and put in the IP of the router such as http://192.168.1.1 etc and find the area that has the IP information. Make sure it is set to use DHCP.

There should also be a place where it will show the status of you ISPs info. If that is blank then you are having a problem with the router getting the info from your ISP. The router gets the network settings from the modem. The computer gets its network settings from the router.

wasisnt said:
You cant just give your computer a static IP. It will still need to get the DNS info from his ISP. Go into the router and make sure that DHCP is turned on. Open a web browser and put in the IP of the router such as http://192.168.1.1 etc and find the area that has the IP information. Make sure it is set to use DHCP.

There should also be a place where it will show the status of you ISPs info. If that is blank then you are having a problem with the router getting the info from your ISP. The router gets the network settings from the modem. The computer gets its network settings from the router.

With the default addressing scheme that windows uses whena DHCP / Bootps server is not present, you are placed on a different subnet compared to that router. Hence to configure it you need to do everything statically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom