New RAM took away my wireless :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtybrdls1

Beta member
Thanks for reading; I got some new RAM (CorsairCM2X2048-8500C7) to put into my Dad's PC. It's a Gateway GT5432. It's been running Vista home premium on 1GB of RAM for over a year now and we thought that it'd be time to upgrade. So we put 4GB of the Corsair RAM in...definitely a step up in the speed department.

The trouble is that the network adapter card he's running (Netgear WG311) stops being recognized with the new memory. What could be causing this?

For the time being, we've had to go back to the original setup just so he can use the internet. Any helpful input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Does the car work w/o the new RAM in there?
If not does it work on another computer?
Have you tried other RAM slots?
Does the RAM and wirless card work if you don't have the old RAM installed?

Your old RAM in PC4200, you bought what looks like PC8500 which could be a conflict. I mean it looks like your MB has a FSB of 533 and the new memory you bout is 1066, again which could be causing issues. While you can run newer RAM at the slower speeds, you essentially are throwing your money away. You are purchasing a piece of equipment that can run at 1066, but the MB is only going to run it at half of that (533).

Anyways, those are some questions to answer and something to think about. See if you can return the hardware and purchase something that is closer to the speed of your MB to see if that resolves the issue.

The computer's original setup is with 2 x 512MB. The new setup is 2 x 2GB. We have tried moving the RAM sticks into different slots; still no solution. The wireless card works normally with the old RAM, just slowly.

I think we're just gonna try a new wireless adapter that works via usb. I think that's gonna be our best choice; we don't use the card slot for anything but the wireless adapter anyhow.

I got the memory for darn cheap, so I'm not too concerned with the cost.

Thank you both for your advice and input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom