New Radeon HD3850 won't find a driver compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazer18

Baseband Member
Well, I ordered a AGP Radeon HD3850 Powercolor on Tuesday morning from newegg and got it Wednesday afternoon. I've needed to upgrade to play games anymore.

Anyway, since I've installed it I've had a heck of a time getting drivers to install. I put the CD in and it runs through everything smoothly and the computer recognizes the card as well as my Plug and Play Monitor. Then I try to install the latest 9.2 drivers. It seems like it extracts everything just fine but when it goes to install I get the error message "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit."

I can't get past this part. I've tried unistalling ATI from Add/Remove Programs and running Driver Cleaner. When I run Driver Cleaner in cleans all the files it finds and then if I click Analyze again it seems like some of the files it just cleaned are appering again. Could y'all maybe tell what I should do please? I'm thinking about maybe trying to uninstall ATI from Add/Remove Programs again, then using Search in the Start Menu and searching for ATI and just delete all of the files I can find and start from scratch with it.

Please help. I've searched all over google for solutions but none seem to work for me and some don't even make sense to me. I'm not real computer savvy:D.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the replies.

I just tried to remove ATI Uninstall from Add/Remove programs in Normal Mode, reboot, ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, reboot, and insert CD and allow computer to recognize card and monitor and install latest drivers in Normal Mode. Got the same problem. When I ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode this time it did manage to clean everything except for one on re-analysis.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the correct Windows XP 32-bit driver but I'll look into it. Anymore suggestions?

To be honest with y'all I'm not too experienced with this stuff so please excuse me with this question. If the CD updated the drivers to where they should be could I be getting this message? I just checked Device Manager and it states that ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP is working properly. When I click the Driver tab it says "Driver Version: 8.541.0.0".

Is this the correct up to date driver? I'm going to try to run a game and see how it does. I believe with this card I should be able to run fairly high settings smoothly correct?

Sorry again about the noobish questions.:eek:

See if you can run a game now. It seemed like they installed okay and as long as you have the latest ones from ATI you should be fine.

I suppose everything's fixed up now. Thank y'all for the help. I ran America's Army with all settings on high very smoothly. I would rather play Battlefield: 2 though and when I ran it, it allowed me to play and everything but it was rather choppy. Ping was at 15 so I don't think it was the connection. It wasn't too pleasant to play though and it was only on Medium setttings.

I used to play BF2 with a Radeon 9800XT about 3 or 4 years ago before that card was run to death and it was very smooth with high settings. Isn't my new Radeon HD3850 more powerful than that old 9800XT?

BF2 choppy on a 3850? Runs better than butter-smooth on mine, and it only has 256MB. I run it at lower graphic settings than most, but that's so I can see the opposition better. ;)

BF2 is very greedy with resources, though. Make sure nothing else is using them... basically kill anything and everything you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom