New PSU, now motherboard temp up 15*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
I just put in a new psu, an ENERMAX Whisper II EG465P-VE FMA 460watt psu, and now the temp on my motherboard went from 40*C at idle to 55*C at idle(asus motherboard with asus probe). I also replaced the optical drive IDE and Floppy ribbon cables with the round versions, and lined all the cables from the psu with convoluted tubing. Also I think its worth noting, that the cpu temp went from 30*-32*C at idle to 26*-27*C at idle after installing the psu (dual fans), so it just seems to be the motherboard that is showing an increase in temp, I thought maybe the Asus Probe software was malfunctioning, but the hardware monitor in the bios displayed the same temps. So what could have cause such an increase like this? Everything seems to be working properly.

Sure. It was the round floppy drive cable I installed.
When diagnosing the problem:
First, I put in the old pos psu, and the temps still went up, then I unplugged the round IDE cables for the optical drives but the temp still went up, then I plugged those back in and unplugged round floppy cable, restarted and temps went back to normal. So I went and bought another round floppy cable, completely different brand, same thing, the temps went up to 55* or higher. Then I put the ribbon cable back on, sure enough the temps went back down to 40*. I called ASUS tech support and they had no clue why a round floppy cable would cause that. I guess the MoBo just doesn't like em. Right now I'm running the round IDE cables and the Enermax psu and everything is all good. I called Asus tech suppost before I fixed it to see if they had any answers, one of the guys there suggested I removed EVERYTHING from the mobo, including the cpu, and reset the CMOS, even though the manual clearly says you only need to remove the battery to do that. So tech support was no help on this case.

I had that same problem last year (my computer was actually locking up), although moving my dvdrom and burner up to the top 2 slot instead of the bottom 2 fixed it. I guess that round cables somehow messed with the airflow of the fans.

I dont think my problem was an airflow problem. The temp inside the case remained at a constant 35*C, 20 degrees cooler than the motherboard. And I also had bother side panels off the chassis all night. I think it was just drawing too much current is all. I'll just have to live with the ribbon cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom