New processor, no display - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default New processor, no display

So here's the story. I got a used AMD socket A sepron 2500+. Guy said it was working perfectly.

I want to put it in one of my computers, it uses a socket a, Asus A7S333 motherboard.

However, when I put the new processor in, turn and turn the thing on, no display comes on.
I've tried removing the cmos battery to clear the cmos, though I can't seem to find the cmos clear pins on the board as well as updating the bios. However, that didn't help.

I've also tried putting the chip in another computer of mine, this one using an Asus A7V400-MX socket A systemboard. Same thing.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'd really like to use this new cpu if possible.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: New processor, no display

well does it work with the original processor?

it kinda sounds like you got ripped off or the processor is a lemon(bad egg)

Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, both computers work with the origonal processors. However, I've never used a sempron socket A. I'd think it should be compatable with at least one of my boards though.

Edit, upon further research, it looks as though the A7S333 isn't going to work with the sempron processor.

The A7V400-MX however, should work once I get it's bios updated.

However, when I said that that both boards worked, I should have said that both boards worked last time I checked.

The A7s333 works fine. I'm using it right now with an Athlon xp 1800+.

The A7V400-MX...Well, it's not even booting with it's origonal processor, an amd duron 1200+.

Back to troubleshooting I go..
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

i use to have that board but it crapped out due to surge
anyway sounds like its a lemon, you should of first tested the chip before you bought it.
on the motherboard there should be a dip switch that regulates the FSB for the CPU and the timing for the RAM. the dip switch is mainly used to overclock as it is a old motherboard. write down the setting you have now and play around with it , with the sepron
P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Closed Thread