New problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried hitting F8 to get teh Advanced boot menu and selecting Last Known Good Configuration?

Yes mak i tried that, and the same thing happened.

with my old computer i had

i had to restart the computer 5 or 6 times just for it to boot up as it keept saying there was no video sync does yours do this as well?

And no pc boy it doesnt say anything like that.

And also when i start up it says C:\boot.ini invalid or something like that. What does that mean?

That means that the boot information stored in the boot.ini is incorrect for your setup. It is pointing to a drive or partition where Windows is not installed to.

Insert the XP CD and go into the Recovery Console. There use teh fixboot and fixmbr commands.

That means that the boot information stored in the boot.ini is incorrect for your setup. It is pointing to a drive or partition where Windows is not installed to.

Insert the XP CD and go into the Recovery Console. There use teh fixboot and fixmbr commands.

I dont have an xp cd, it came on the comp, and i lost my recovery disk, so is there another way to do this?

No. Your gonna have to try and get a copy of the XP CD that matches your installed version. The only way to fix a boot issue like that is with the CD.

There is a long shot, but only if you have a Floppy Drive.

Nope ha ha i dont have a floppy drive. Ill try to find a copy, any idea where i can get one for windos mce 2005? And is that what is causing my start up problem?

As i said in my earlier post:

The boot information does not match your system. So when it reaches the point where it tries to start to load Windows it is not where the boot files say it is.

You will have to find one from a alternative source. Microsoft doesnt offer the MCE disks anymore.

Ok thanks ill try to find a mce disk. Also how do i run the fixboot and fixmbr commands do i just pop the cd in and hit something or what?

Insert the CD. Once you get to the first menu you will see the option to press "R" to enter the Recovery Console. That is what you want. Once you do that just select your XP install as it should auto detect it. Then just type in those commands.

Ok, i found a boot.ini file on the internet and i put it in where it was blank, so now when i try to start it up and now it says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Just kidding i got to the recovery console and entered those commands and i still get the thing with the system 32 hal.dll being missing or corrupt any ideas?

I fixed the hal.dll problem, and its still doing the restart when it gets to the windows screen. I did the fixboot and other command, and it still happening. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom