New power supply, now fan is noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboneman

Solid State Member
After 6 years, the old 300 watt power supply on my Gateway 838GM Media Center desktop died. I replaced it with a generic 350 watt power supply. Where the old one would shut down and remain totally quiet when not needed, this one runs the fans constantly. Talk about noisy. And annoying.

Is there anything that can be done, short of buying still another power supply?

Are you running this fan on a port on your motherboard, on a fan controller, or through a converter theough molex power cable? A PSU does not quiet it down when needed. That is through software or your BIOS.

Not sure what you're asking. I'm not 'running a fan'. The fans run because the power supply (apparently) makes them (it) run. With the original power supply, when the heat factor was negligible, the fans did not run and all was quiet. With this new one, at least one fan (I think it's the one in the power supply) seems to run all the time. I keep the side cover off the machine to reduce heat.

The noise is very annoying. Please tell me more about software tweaks that might help in the BIOS and elsewhere. I'd like to fix the problem via software before having to buy another power supply, if possible.

Oh, I thought you meat a fan inside your case, not the PSU fan. Most generic power supplies do not have heat controllers. I think that is where you made your mistake.

There is nothing you can do about it, than opening up your PSU and installing a quieter fan. Not recommended, though, as it is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom