Asus A8N- SLi Deluxe
AMD 64 3800+
ATI Sapphire X800 GTO2
Enermax 901 600W PSU
1 GB PC3200 DDR 400
80 GB SATA HDD
DVD-ROM Drive
In a 'Tsunami Dream' Thermaltake Case

After assembling it, I plugged it into the monitor (the monitor I'm using only supports VGA so I had to use a convertor thing to plug it into the DVI of the graphics card - I don't think the monitor is the problem though since I tried it with the same convertor on another PC) pressed the on button and it didn't do anything. Then I realised I hadn't turned on the switch of the PSU. So I did. Then I pressed the button again and I heard fans whirling, looked into the case, saw that everything seemed to be humming away nicely. I turned on the monitor... and it came up with 'No Signal'.
Arrrgh....
Furthermore, no beeping of any kind could be heard from the PC, just fans. I tried pressing the button to open the DVD drive, it didn't respond, nor was there any sign of activity. My guess was that the Graphics Card was the problem, but I don't have another PC with PCI Express to test it in. I don't think I cracked the CPU when fixing the fan, but I haven't ruled it out yet. Or maybe it's the PSU?
Windows is still not installed and I haven't even seen the BIOS screen yet.

I'm really frustrated and I REALLY hope that there is a God out there on this forum that can help me!

its seems that its either the motherboard or psu. its easier to test the psu so see if you can yank one from another computer to test. make sure all power connectors are attached to the motherboard especially the extra 4 pin 12v. if the gfx card has a pci-e auxilary power connector make sure you attach the 6 pin plug from the psu. take the motherboard out of the case and sit it with all vital components (cpu, ram, video card) on the static bag the mobo came in. try running it from there because the problem could be cause by an electrical short against the pc case

Thanks for the post :)

School-boy error, I hadn't plugged in the 4 pin 12V thing on the mobo- but unfortunately still no success. I'm using a Saitek gaming keyboard, and now its backlight comes on when I turn on the computer. Also, the little light near the 'power on' button now comes on. Otherwise it's still the same with fans coming on, no beeps and no signal to the monitor...
Does this help narrow it down at all?

Another thing- what causes short circuits inside the case? (& how do you get around it?)

:'(

I've now tried the things you suggested - no luck...
First I started the PC outside of the case, then I put it a different PSU. It's produced exactly the same result.

I think I'm going to break down and cry soon...

Quick question: is it possible that there's a problem with the CPU? What signs would I get if that was the prob? My guess is that it's CPU or Graphics Card, but i'm no PC genius so not sure. But I don't think its the mobo or PSU now that I've tested them. (although maybe the mobo is broken?)

(sorry for posting so many times in a row)
If the PSU is the problem, will I be able to simply replace it with a new one, or is it possible that the busted PSU has destroyed my components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom