new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Default new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

So I just finished building my new computer last week, and I have a strange problem where, every morning when I turn it on I get a black screen, keyboard and mouse don't light up but all the fans spin and the GPU LED lights up, so I turn it off and on again and everything works fine? is it a motherboard problem? or HDD?
__________________

MrTimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

would be nice if you posted some specs about this pc, like the power supply (brand name, model and wattage), motherboard, cpu, case, memory, hard drive(s) ....ect
__________________

__________________
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan - 40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

specs are
Corsair Hydro Series H90 140mm CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4
Corsair RM750i 80Plus Gold 750W Modular Power Supply
ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB
Western Digital WD Black WD3003FZEX 3TB
Intel Core i5 6600K
MrTimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,657
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

Sounds like it may be an incorrectly configured option in BIOS (e.g. memory speed) - very strange behaviour though.

When you start your PC and don't get a black screen, please take note of what your memory is configured to run at (e.g. 1333Mhz), then restart and enter your BIOS and make sure it's manually set to run at that frequency.

edit: just checked your memory specs, your ram is meant to run at 2133MHz apparently - so when you successfully boot your PC, please check the frequency it's running at and post back with whether it matches 2133MHz

edit2: holy hell, just checked your mobo specs. THat's a pretty impressive board was worried it wouldn't support 2133Mhz memory, but that's the lowest speed listed in its compatibility list :O
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

The board does have on board Intel graphics (igpu), What does it do when you remove the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 and try running it on the igpu?
__________________
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan - 40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

thanks soulphire, yes half the reason built this new computer was to upgrade to ddr4 ram and to go from my old 2600k i7 and my 660ti gpu, thanks joe, I tried that with the same results, although I'm starting to think it may be a boot order issue
MrTimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
pchelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Georgia | USA
Posts: 62
Send a message via Yahoo to pchelper Send a message via Skype™ to pchelper
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

Hi there...

It is a bit strange that you turn it off and then back on and it runs fine with no other signs of problem....

Just pulling this out of thin air here...have you tried pulling out your memory and video card then reseating the memory and video? Though it would be a good idea like Joe said and pull that video card and use the onboard video and see if that makes it not happen but I would pull the memory and video and reseat them for sure...You should always at the very least get a cursor or something on your screen...It may even be a good idea if you have disabled the splash screen and on screen boot info to re-enable them temporarily and see if anything does show up...it is sounding like it is not getting through the post the first time and perhaps the heat is causing a connection or something to connect so the second boot gets the connection...

Boot order doesn't make any sense as it would be that way every time you booted same with the Bios unless the bios is resetting itself but should still get something on the screen my bet is the post count and the board and power supply heating up causing just enough of a change to give the connection...
pchelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchelper View Post
Hi there...

It is a bit strange that you turn it off and then back on and it runs fine with no other signs of problem....

Just pulling this out of thin air here...have you tried pulling out your memory and video card then reseating the memory and video? Though it would be a good idea like Joe said and pull that video card and use the onboard video and see if that makes it not happen but I would pull the memory and video and reseat them for sure...You should always at the very least get a cursor or something on your screen...It may even be a good idea if you have disabled the splash screen and on screen boot info to re-enable them temporarily and see if anything does show up...it is sounding like it is not getting through the post the first time and perhaps the heat is causing a connection or something to connect so the second boot gets the connection...

Boot order doesn't make any sense as it would be that way every time you booted same with the Bios unless the bios is resetting itself but should still get something on the screen my bet is the post count and the board and power supply heating up causing just enough of a change to give the connection...
I would reseat the RAM and CPU (repaste of course), leave the GPU out, and try boot with the built in graphics card and if you have multiple RAM sticks then try one at a time..

Once it does boot, does it run fine until you switch it off later in the day?
__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

Is this pc over clocked?
Quote:
For system failure due to overclocking, use the CPU Parameter Recall C.P.R.) feature. Shut down and reboot the system, then the BIOS automatically resets parameter
On page 1 - 16.2 in the manual, there are cpu over volt jumpers. The default should be pins 1 & 2. The cpu over volt are pins 2 & 3. Check and try re-setting the bios to it's default.
That board has a lot of options on it, looks like a very nice board. Be sure to thoroughly go through the manual to get a full understanding of all the options available.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._UM_V2_WEB.pdf
__________________
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan - 40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,277
Default Re: new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Sounds like it may be an incorrectly configured option in BIOS (e.g. memory speed) - very strange behaviour though.

When you start your PC and don't get a black screen, please take note of what your memory is configured to run at (e.g. 1333Mhz), then restart and enter your BIOS and make sure it's manually set to run at that frequency.

edit: just checked your memory specs, your ram is meant to run at 2133MHz apparently - so when you successfully boot your PC, please check the frequency it's running at and post back with whether it matches 2133MHz

edit2: holy hell, just checked your mobo specs. THat's a pretty impressive board was worried it wouldn't support 2133Mhz memory, but that's the lowest speed listed in its compatibility list :O
Yea, DDR4 standard starts at 2133. Z170 and Skylake are DDR4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTimn View Post
thanks soulphire, yes half the reason built this new computer was to upgrade to ddr4 ram and to go from my old 2600k i7 and my 660ti gpu, thanks joe, I tried that with the same results, although I'm starting to think it may be a boot order issue
Hate to be the bearer of bad news bud, but kind of a sidegrade. DDR4 gives no gain in performance and the 2600k is only about 15% slower in benchmarks than 4th and 5th gen CPUs. I would have got a 980ti for your rig and called it a day lol because in the end the CPU upgrade doesn't make much of a difference. It's also extremely saddening that you spent all that money on the platform and didn't get an SSD.

Def not a boot order. What's happening would be a failsafe for a bad boot normally from a piece of hardware being run harder than it should and the next boot the bios loads safe paramaters. I would go in the bios and manually set your RAM to 2133 and make sure your CPU is set to the stock BCLK and ratio, as well as core voltage.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crash to black screen and/or random system powering down/restart Alendi Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 0 09-20-2011 10:23 PM
Built my Computer, any checklist to see if everything is fine? akasixcon New Systems | Building and Buying 0 04-01-2010 07:39 PM
Got the Blue screen, but everything seems to be fine.. NicktheQuik Microsoft Windows and Software 8 11-27-2008 07:40 PM
Everything appears fine, but I have no connection? Striken Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 2 10-16-2006 12:46 PM
Problems accessing one particular site-everything else works fine bendogmatix Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 5 02-22-2005 10:58 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.