New PC, randomly shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

desekoro

Solid State Member
The main problem is the PC will power off instantly at random. The power supply is about 1 month old and was working flawlessly in a previous P4 system. It is a corsair TX650W and when the computer is booted up all the readings are good. The CPU is a -used- AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65w Socket am2 that has a stuck temp reading. It will run at around 23c on idle on core 0, core 1 is stuck at 93c and will not move on load or idle. It has a pretty good scythe cpu cooler with a nice thin coat of AC5. The cpu temp on core 0 will climb to about 35c on 100% load in prime 95 while core 1 will remain at 93. It wont get past 10 minutes in prime95 without crashing. It will simply power off all the way and has no beeps or errors when i reboot.

Some other specs on the PC would include,

Motherboard: A760G M2+
RAM: Mushkin 2GB DDR 2 800 MHZ 4-4-4-12
Video Card: ATI 4650 1GB Pci Express
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 2.6 ghz 65W with Scythe 6 pipe cooler
HDD: 320gb Sata, 80gb IDE
PSU: Corsair TX 650W single rail @52amps

The interior is nice and dust free and has plenty of air cooling. I'm leaning towards the cpu being the defect. It is the only item i don't have much history on and has a stuck sensor. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this or what they think the issue is I would greatly appreciate it.

Does it BSOD or just Kurchunk and off?

Despite the reading stuck, i wonder if the 93C reading is the issue?
It could be the heat safety of the computer saving you from frying yourself.

Its doesn't BSOD or reset it just kurchunks and off. The 93c reading could be the issue. I haven't found a lot of info on stuck sensor but being that it is used, the previous owner could of had it up to 93 or higher a few times and got it stuck there possibly (just speculating).

I know a cpu overheating will result in your pc powering off but I can turn in it right back on and it will work fine for 10minutes or 2 hours before happening again. Also on a P4 i had overheating it would power off and when trying to reboot it would beep 4 times and turn right back off. Upon starting it up after cooling it gave me a boot up message saying my cpu over heated and the PC shut down to prevent damage. I haven't had any such warnings with this computer.

I'm kind of at a loss. Memtest will pass if it makes it through without the power outage. I'm leaning toward getting a quad core and hoping that it is the CPU. If the dual core ends up being still good i'll at least have an upgrade. Most everyone leans toward problems like these being psu related but its a new one and has been tried and tested in different builds. I'll check back tomorrow in hopes someone has any more ideas, thanks for your help.

Its your CPU, you can actually go into the BIOS and change the settings to disable automatic shut down, since the temp is much higher than normal it will shut down no matter what to prevent its self from overheating. Try stressing your CPU and see what happens, but unfortunatelly you'll need something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom