New PC - Lights on, no fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your floppy cable is plugged in backwards. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what's been holding everything up. It tries to detect floppy, can't, and just freezes.

Unplug the ribbon cable, turn it 180 degrees, then plug it back in

Tried that earlier but ended up not getting any light on the floppy drive on boot-up. I'll gave it another go though.

Took a cable from another machine and no luck. The machine is not reading from the floppy. Is it possible that the connection point on the mobo is the problem? Or is that unlikely given that the light stays lit on the drive if the cable is the wrong way around. Also, should I at least be able to get BIOS info on the screen? As it stands nothing is being relayed to the monitor.
casey

Have you tried resetting your CMOS yet? It might be the problem. Try that first, then if that doesn't work, then it's probably your mobo.

Yeah,
tried resetting the CMOS but no luck. At present as the machine goes through POST I get the lights on the keyboard and the DVD drive but not the floppy. Maybe the floppy is disabled in the BIOS. Anyway, I imagined I should get "something" on the monitor even if it was only the manufacturers logo. I am going to try another video card later today but keep the suggestions coming.
casey

I have set up a new topic in Hardware Troubleshooting titled "New PC no display" as it seems a better description of the present situation. Please reply to that topic. Thanks again for the help so far.
casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom