New PC build issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default New PC build issues

Building a new pc based on a nforce 570 motherboard with a dual-core intel processor. Unit powers on, drives spin up, fans spin up, everything seems to be fine, but I get no graphics, no keyboard, etc. It just sits their. I've got one 1024MB ddr2 dimm installed. I've checked and rechecked all of the connections and I'm coming up with a loss. In the past, I would have concluded it was probably a memory chip issue but since I've got no spare chip, I've got no way to test that theory.

Finally, one last piece of info. There is a 4 pin ATX12V1 auxiliary power header on the motherboard that is NOT hooked to anything (power supply did not come with a connector for it). It appears that if you are using the 24 pin power header the auxiliary is unnecessary, however, I may be reading the documentation wrong on that. If anyone can verify I'd appreciate the direction.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: New PC build issues

Make sure your cpu is seated properly..seriously...

connections all verified ok right?

And lastly...I do believe your 4pin mobo connector needs to be jacked up. Was not really needed prior, but I think needed now on newer cpus...but not 100% certain. Usually, if a psu does not have the connector, the mobo will have such an adaptor...but I am guessing all depending on luck of the draw whose product you have.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm hitting radio shack for an adaptor of some kind to jack up that connector. That makes sense. I just wish that Tiger Direct had taken that into account when they bundled the power supply, processor, and motherboard for their "barebones" kit.

Thanks again,

Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

yeah the 4 pin connector is for your cpu. without it connected, it is quite possible (especially with a dual core) that your cpu is not receiving proper voltage.
if you live in the u.s., i suggest using newegg. they are usually cheaper than tiger direct and their customer support is outstanding.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Closed Thread