new pc blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricey36

Baseband Member
hi i'm having a progressively worse problem with a new pc.
it started with a just a quick glitch on the monitor as if the power had been cut for a tiny fraction of a second. Next i started getting random reboots within a few minutes of startup and now the thing won't boot fully and crashes before windows satrts up.

I've had a quick look though the random reboots troubleshooter but i'm not sure it can explain why the problem has got progressively worse.

i' running
athlon 64 4000+
nforce4 6100chipset mobo
2 gigs 3200 ram
7600gt
dvd rewriter

the thought process i've gone through is as follows;

? psu- possibly but 450w should be plenty according to the power calculator link on the other post
? overheat on the gpu- no graphical glitches, checked the temps whilst running oblivion and it was fine
?cpu overheat- shouldn't overheat on boot should it?
? mobo problem- bios runs fine, memory check ok

sorry if htis post seems dumb but i'm new to these techie things

thanks in advance

temp was 55 degrees, have altered the cool'n'quiet option for the "high" speed fan setting to come on at 45 not 50 degrees. no change will boot through bios but not xp

if you have more than 1 ram stick try changing them around to see if that's the problem. Also make sure all connections look correct and securely fastened.

Your best bet is to lend a friends PSU hopefully of equal power.

ok thanks, will try those suggestions. I've also been advised bt some helpline guy that i should try booting from my xp disk going to the recovery cosnole and trying "fixmbr" followed by "fixboot" then running check disk. Wont' this leave a really messy installation and slow things down?

very confused now! changed boot sequence to boot from xp disk but it reset just as i was typing fixmbr which effectively means i can't even try to format and reinstall xp doh!
But then i tried to startup in safe mode and presto it seemed to boot ok and work for a while. I did a system restore back to the day i opened the box and it seemd fine but a lot of the mobo features (like sound and network controllers etc. ) wouldn't work without installing the drivers from the mobo disk. once i'd installed these i tried to run both company of heroes and oblivion and i sarted to the the blips then reboots i got originally.
Does this indicate a fault on the mobo somewhere or a driver conflict? any ideas

very confused now! changed boot sequence to boot from xp disk but it reset just as i was typing fixmbr which effectively means i can't even try to format and reinstall xp doh!
But then i tried to startup in safe mode and presto it seemed to boot ok and work for a while. I did a system restore back to the day i opened the box and it seemd fine but a lot of the mobo features (like sound and network controllers etc. ) wouldn't work without installing the drivers from the mobo disk. once i'd installed these i tried to run both company of heroes and oblivion and i started to get the the blips then reboots i got originally.
Does this indicate a fault on the mobo somewhere or a driver conflict? any ideas

just the one beep so no post errors i suppose, haven't had chance to borrow a psu yet but will try running without the 7600gt ( there a 6100 onboard). would it still run in safe mode if the psu was caned though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom