New motherboard problem....DFI LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board is for enthusiasts so not turning on due to no CPU fan would be pretty ridiculous.
Huh? Dude, that makes no sense! A CPU should NEVER be run without cooling so it is a common setting in the BIOS Setup Menu to shut down when the CPU fan drops below a specified RPM. Pretty sure 0 RPM is below the threshold.

I think you're missing the distinction between 'cpu fan' and 'cpu cooler'.
Not at all. Note I intentionally made no distinction by saying "without cooling".

I ran fanless on my E8400's cooler for two years.
I am afraid you are missing the distinction. Fanless is not the same thing as "without cooling". I am sure you still had a decent heatsink attached, hopefully with a proper layer of TIM (thermal interface material), and adequate air flow through the case. That's "cooling".

Totally "passive" CPU coolers (no fan) have been used for years, though typically not on an enthusiasts board. Truly passive cooling (that is, a heatsink designed for use without a fan) is suited for home theater PCs, where the roar of CPU fans while watching a movie is unacceptable.

If you ran with a heatsink "assembly" (heat sink + fan packaged as a unit) without the fan, and kept your temps well managed then I congratulate your on choice of cases. But I would caution you - motherboard designer's intentionally surround the CPU socket with other heat sensitive and heat generating devices so they can take advantage of the OEM heatsink's fan. Passive cooling (and some alternatives, like water cooling) can result in stability problems in those circuits.

So, with my entire sentence used IN context, instead of out :(, I stand by what I said,
A CPU should NEVER be run without cooling so it is a common setting in the BIOS Setup Menu to shut down when the CPU fan drops below a specified RPM.

I agree that your statement is correct. However the quote you gave from PP was concerning the CPU fan, so your reply about 'no CPU cooling' was what led me to believe you didn't know the difference between having no fan and having no cooling (and so pointed that out). Clearly I misunderstood ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom