New motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachj06

Beta member
Hello, I am new with motherboards.

I have a stock compaq and I wanted to install a nforce650i ultra motherboard in it.

I hooked up all the cables, and I turn on the computer and it goes on, and the fan spins. Then the fan goes off in 5 seconds. Is it the power supply or?

Now, i put back my old motherboard in. Different processor. This time it says the fan has stopped working, press f2. Then I press f2 and it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

WHAT DO I DO??

The processor/video fan is still on...

Hello, I am new with motherboards.

I have a stock compaq and I wanted to install a nforce650i ultra motherboard in it.

I hooked up all the cables, and I turn on the computer and it goes on, and the fan spins. Then the fan goes off in 5 seconds. Is it the power supply or?

Make sure that each time you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you clean the old thermal interface material off before applying new thermal interface material between the CPU heatsink and die of the CPU. Also ensure that the CPU heatsink is seated and fixed on top of the CPU correctly.

The system may be shutting off automatically because of the thermal protection, to prevent it from overheating.

Now, i put back my old motherboard in. Different processor. This time it says the fan has stopped working, press f2. Then I press f2 and it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

WHAT DO I DO??

So after putting your old motherboard in, does the fan spin or not?

And as for the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" this is either because the hard drive has not been connected properly (molex power cable or IDE cable) or because the hard drive has not been set as the 1st boot device in the BIOS options.

Ok, heres an update. I still cant get it to work. When everything is plugged in the motherboard turns on for like 5 seconds and turns off (the processor/video card fan does not spin at all) Could this be too a power problem?

should I order a better power supply?

It could very well be the power supply. Try to see if a new one gives you a better result. Also, If you are running a stock compaq hard drive and try to put a aftermarket motherboard it will not work. Compaq and HP computers do have tatooing and it prevents you to use an aftermarket motherboard with the Compaq Hard drive. unless you know how to tatoo motherboards :p

sounds ALOT like when you plug the wrong 4pin connector in to the motherboard, most power supplies will now have a 20pin connector and a 2x4pins one if for graphics cards and one is for the motherbaord try switching or turning the one your using round.

had this prob when i was a noob and built my first rig :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom