New motherboard problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New motherboard problem

Hello, I am new with motherboards.

I have a stock compaq and I wanted to install a nforce650i ultra motherboard in it.

I hooked up all the cables, and I turn on the computer and it goes on, and the fan spins. Then the fan goes off in 5 seconds. Is it the power supply or?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: New motherboard problem

Hello,

Need a bit more clarification. So the fan turns off but the system remains on?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The system turns off.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Now, i put back my old motherboard in. Different processor. This time it says the fan has stopped working, press f2. Then I press f2 and it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

WHAT DO I DO??

The processor/video fan is still on...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj06 View Post
Hello, I am new with motherboards.

I have a stock compaq and I wanted to install a nforce650i ultra motherboard in it.

I hooked up all the cables, and I turn on the computer and it goes on, and the fan spins. Then the fan goes off in 5 seconds. Is it the power supply or?
Make sure that each time you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you clean the old thermal interface material off before applying new thermal interface material between the CPU heatsink and die of the CPU. Also ensure that the CPU heatsink is seated and fixed on top of the CPU correctly.

The system may be shutting off automatically because of the thermal protection, to prevent it from overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj06 View Post
Now, i put back my old motherboard in. Different processor. This time it says the fan has stopped working, press f2. Then I press f2 and it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

WHAT DO I DO??
So after putting your old motherboard in, does the fan spin or not?

And as for the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" this is either because the hard drive has not been connected properly (molex power cable or IDE cable) or because the hard drive has not been set as the 1st boot device in the BIOS options.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post

So after putting your old motherboard in, does the fan spin or not?
The fan spins in the old one.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, heres an update. I still cant get it to work. When everything is plugged in the motherboard turns on for like 5 seconds and turns off (the processor/video card fan does not spin at all) Could this be too a power problem?

should I order a better power supply?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to freedonutss

It could very well be the power supply. Try to see if a new one gives you a better result. Also, If you are running a stock compaq hard drive and try to put a aftermarket motherboard it will not work. Compaq and HP computers do have tatooing and it prevents you to use an aftermarket motherboard with the Compaq Hard drive. unless you know how to tatoo motherboards
ECS P4M890T-M2 LGA 775 M/B
Nvidia Geforce 7900GTO 512 MB PCI x16
Rosewill 700W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 16MB 3.0gb/s
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

sounds ALOT like when you plug the wrong 4pin connector in to the motherboard, most power supplies will now have a 20pin connector and a 2x4pins one if for graphics cards and one is for the motherbaord try switching or turning the one your using round.

had this prob when i was a noob and built my first rig :P