New motherboard and CPU trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyemt

Beta member
I purchased an ASUS A8V and an Athlon 3200+. I used this to replace a slower set up, but opted to keep my two IDE HDDs.

I was able to boot and log in to Windows XP Pro. While the comp initiates all the start-up programs, it goes to the blue screen and dumps the physical memory.

I have looked up "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc000009A, 0x805442A5, 0xF73EB7BC, 0x0000000).

I am able to go in under safe mode, using this to disable most stuff. I also have disconnected DVD and slave HDD to no effect.

Obviously I am in over my head now.

What could I do now?

is this an existing install of XP pro? or did you do a clean install when you upgraded?

This is an existing install. I did try to repair by booting to the disk without noticable effect. I even attempted to F-disk out of frustration but it failed (displaying three 4 or 5 character codes [i forget what they were]).

okay...you need to reformat and re-install windows....it is very rare that windows will work with that many upgrades...

How is the best way to do this, since the f-disk failed? Is there a different way to reformat?

if you can get into DOS then then "Format C:" should work......btw how are you trying to get into FDISK?

Maybe I used the wrong term... I was in DOS and attempted to Format C: when I got denied.

Now F8 isn't getting me to the usual screen of choices. I am booting from the XP and will attempt to re-install XP.

These issues are the prime reason I have switched to Linux...Good luck my friend, I believe you have a nice re-format coming your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom