New mobo, POST, but no visuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerZero

Baseband Member
Okay, I'll start out with the original problem.

I'd been getting a KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR off and on for a few days when it started getting worse. MUCH worse. After about a week, it got to the point where I could hardly do anything in windows without getting that, or one of the other associated errors. I read up on the subject, and concluded that my mobo was the most likely culprit. A couple months prior, my dad had actually managed to short out a front USB port by inserting a cable upside down (quite a feat, I know, but he tells me he did it). Says he saw a spark, and ever since then, that USB port has not worked. The other one on the front is fine.

So I ordered a replacement motherboard - same company, same model, but slightly different layout. No problem; everything was labelled. I installed the thing, fired it up, and the problems began anew.

Last night, one of two things would happen, depending upon whether or not the FDD IDE cable was plugged in.

1. If it was unplugged, I could boot it up into BIOS, but just before it would normally display the "Windows XP Loading" screen, it would deliver unto itself a swift kick in the rear and reboot. I tried Safe mode, and nothing worked.

2. If it was plugged in, the monitor would briefly flash amber/green (it's a dual-color LED, green for on w/signal and amber for on/no signal/standby) . . . like both LEDs were on at once, which to me sounds like a signal error. Then it would just go amber, and the computer would make its normal POST sounds, but the screen would not return.

But today, I can't get any sort of screen to come up. #2 happens regardless of whether or not the FDD IDE is plugged in (there is no labelled pin #1, so I've tried it both ways). Here's my specs:

FoxConn motherboard
512MB RAM (DDR400, one stick)
AMD Sempron 1.58

120GB HDD (master)
20GB HDD (slave)

DVD-ROM (master)

Belkin 802.11g wi-fi card
10/100 ethernet card
256MB ATI Radeon 9250, AGP

hmm.. difficult

Your MoBo is faulty / Your pretty unlucky

Your ram is faulty cause i had a similar prob. but since i had ABIT moBo i could tell wat was wrong

Try some more ram.

I dont c how but it could b becuase of your Hard Drive

FYI: i think you should get A High Quality MoBO. becuase most of these problems are caused by faulty equipment, bad combo of ram, cpu compatablitity, and or bad brands

Thank you for the reply, Alex. I just popped a good stick of RAM in there, and now I can get the BIOS screen again. But it still reboots itself right as the "Loading Windows XP" screen would normally show. At this point, I think it may be the old 20GB HDD. I think part of the master boot record is on there, and if that's the case and that part of the drive has errors, it could explain my troubles. Of course, the mobo could still be defective, but I don't think that's the case . . .

Any other opinions? Is it likely the HDD? (the 20 made some weird noises sometimes, but the 120 has performed flawlessly and makes no abnormal sounds) Or is it probably some silly jumper setting that I missed completely? I'm moving in about a week, and I would really like to have the machine back up and running before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom